Why do you use Linux? And why did you choose Ubuntu MATE?

distrotalk

I switched from Windows to Linux because once, with nothing better to do, I decided to read Microsoft’s private policies and terms of use. I couldn’t believe the atrocities I was reading so I rushed searching for alternatives.

Google ‘took’ me to Linux distros and for the last years I made Linux not only a work and leisure tool but also a hobby, I’ve used more than 10 distros as daily drivers and tested on vm more than 100 distros (probably more than 200 is more correct).

And all that Linux using, distro testing and learning brought me to Ubuntu MATE, which is my favorite operating system. What suits me best is an Ubuntu based distro, MATE desktop and Compiz, along with operating system stability so sooner or later is was destined for me to end up using Ubuntu MATE.

I’m using Ubuntu MATE 18.04 and really loving it.
Congrats to the entire team for a job very well done!

###Why i use Ubuntu ? :slight_smile:

• Long time OS X / Apple user. Don’t like Apple leadership and abandoning of professional user-base.
  • Ubuntu is the future of professional desktop. In combination with Nvidia and machine learning.
  • Open source + software
  • A dream for web / software development
  • LTS support
    ###Why i use Ubuntu Mate?:
  • Traditional Desktop paradigm
  • With little to no time i can make it look and behave like os x, closing, maximizing on left + dock, removing icons from menus, etc.
  • Gnome 2
  • Stable

Congrats on beautifully executed job and thanks.

I got tired of Windows viruses doing sensitive work like taxes. I’m low tech so I will always be a newbie. Loaded on my 5 year old laptop with heat issues so I wanted a distro that wasn’t too big.I could see how do load software I wanted and update. No terminal for me. I liked how MATE lets me save everything on the desktop. Most distros only let you save icons to the side bar. I wanted Libre and Firefox even if Chromium doesn’t spy on you like Chrome.

I am lazy.
Linux is easy.

I left Ubuntu when they deleted Gnome2.
I ended up with Debian Mate.

because it is easy …and familiar

Left Windoze
when they became quite invasive
when they didn’t stop making the decisions of what was best for me
when they started to improve the ‘experience’… while I had more problems then ever
when an update screwed up my Acer computer for good

Been ‘almost’ trouble free since then.
This Ubuntu Linux version is a real Mate.

Been using Linux Mint for years along with a few others - this Ubuntu Mate seems very stable

32bit support, and the lack of need for OpenGL.

Oh…wait :blush:

I use Linux because i want to control everything that happens in my system.
I use Ubuntu MATE because i like the gnome 2 interface and simplicity of Ubuntu.

Mate is clean, fast, feature complete, not distractful. It is one of these DE that don’t make the fans of my computer go crazy.
On this point, Mate is also probably eco-friendly :slight_smile: