Why not "Mubuntu"?

So, now that I’ve got Ubuntu Mate up and running (and loving it) on my ThinkPad T420s, I have to ask: why wasn’t it called Mubuntu? We have Kubuntu (KDE + Ubuntu), Lubuntu (LXDE + Ubuntu), and Xubuntu (XFCE + Ubuntu), so doesn’t Mate + Ubuntu = Mubuntu?

1 Like

Have you search that name? I got some interesting hits :slight_smile:

I have SafeSearch turned on :wink:

Then we would have to use a Cow as our logo, get it? Moobuntu. :wink:
Although perhaps Gateway might have been interested in using Mubuntu. :smiley:

2 Likes

So back when this project was just getting started, we needed a name. We discovered 2 things, there had been several failed/aborted “Mubuntu” projects and Canonical now protects the *ubuntu names.

You’ll notice that only the early flavours enjoy a *ubuntu name, while newer flavours are named Ubuntu GNOME, Ubuntu MATE and Ubuntu Studio. On reflection, I prefer Ubuntu MATE and while I could request the Mubuntu name, I have no intention of doing so. Ubuntu MATE is well known now and changing the name would cause confusion.

As a little aside, when Ubuntu MATE got started we did contact all the other Mubuntus and invite them to participate. A few did but soon drifted off.

6 Likes

Interesting, thanks for the info!

By the way, some Ubuntu GNOME people have been asking why their flavor of choice wasn’t called “Gubuntu” as well. I’d imagine the answer is pretty much the same as your own.

3 Likes

I know that’s 100% subjective, but Ubuntu MATE sounds way better than Moobuntu, and at least with that name I won’t be thinking of cows-powered computers whenever I boot up mine!

1 Like

It would have been a good excuse to have cowsay run by default every time you open a terminal :wink:

Of course, you can always 'Moo' with apt-get. :slight_smile:

1 Like

apt moo moo moo is better

2 Likes

Those are ‘Udderly’ funny! :wink:

1 Like