Window Manager Issue: Resizing Windows

I am currently running Ubuntu MATE 17.10 x86_64, & based on MATE Tweak, my WM is Metacity Macro. I am having a problem where I can only resize windows from the top left corner. No where else.

Has anyone seen this before or can someone lend me a hand?

1 Like

Welcome to the forum @v3ritas. I find right clicking on the title bar of a window and selecting Resize helpful.

You may also find the following link of interest:

https://ubuntu-mate.community/t/make-window-resizing-easier-out-of-the-box/5845

Thanks Steven. I may play around with changing the XML, but for now I’ll go with your suggestion of right-clicking the Title Bar.

Thanks for you help.

1 Like

You are most welcome :slight_smile:

1 Like

So freaking annoying, that problem. And from the other thread it seems it’s been going on for years.

Hold ALT down, then right-click any of the NE/SE/SW/NW quadrants of the window, then drag your mouse.

That’s a workaround, not really a solution. It requires two inconvenient actions to be performed at the same time.
Compiz (search for resize) has some minor settings which don’t really help.

Hopefully there’s going to be an improvement soon…

The other suggestion to edit something in the theme, doesn’t work for me (can’t find the file mentioned by the first linked post).

This problem bothers me at least 20-30 times every day.

1 Like

Thanks. This is a bit better, but like you said, it will be nice when they finally decide to fix it…

Hey! i found a trick to ease the issue, i though that could be something due to the fact that the windows in Ubuntu are almost without a graphic border, so there isn’t a sufficient large line to catch by the cursor. so if you doesn’t care too much of the look of your windows you can go to:
System>preferences>look & Style>Look and open the preferences of the look, click to personalyze and choose “window border” i chosed the “Aging Gorilla” style and now catch the lower right corner or any of the edges of the window is much easy than before, i solved , i don’t like too much this style but it works to me and i’m happy