Would you find this Caja extension useful?

Only ideologues think there is one way to do things.

Oh… and Microsoft

To clarify my position on this, or any other proposed innovation on UM (or any Linux distro), I take the following line:

Firstly, a distro must have a central core philosophy. In the case of UM, I would suggest this is based around tried and tested function taking precedence over form - though form is certainly not ignored. UM is, in my opinion, a very aesthetically pleasing distro. But, I would argue, its pleasing form flows out of its great functionality.

However, the above being said, freedom of choice should always, where practicable and possible, be made available to users in everything from function to form. So, for example, the reason I left Ubuntu for a period of time was due to the introduction of Unity and Cannonical’s enforcement of a particular function and form on users because Canonical “knew best”. As we all now know, they most certainly did not know best and have now backtracked.

Notwithstanding, the introduction of “Mutiny” in UM is, in my view, a quite brilliant innovation in the distro. Not because I like it. Quite the contrary. But, because I know other users do and I want them to have that choice. Meanwhile, I have the choice to continue with the default layout of UM which is, in my view, perfection.

In a similar vein, I personally would very much welcome the introduction of a terminal plugin for Caja so long as its introduction does not intefere with Caja’s existing functionality. In other words, more choice, not less. No loss, only gain.

Finally to take the example of your friend. He would not be obliged to use the Caja terminal plugin. So, for him, nothing would have changed.

5 Likes

I have found right clicking in a caja window and selecting “open in terminal” very useful. This Caja extension seems to provide a very similar capability.

1 Like

Enough people have shown interest in this extension that, at the very least, it will be packaged and introduced to the official Ubuntu archive.

I look forward for more commentary from Ubuntu MATE users to help determine whether this extension will be installed by default :grinning:

6 Likes

Is this a sort of VTE terminal extension for Caja?
It’s preety small. If there was an option to detach from Caja that would be cool.
On the other hand, maybe you can add buttons to maximize and minimize the terminal inside the own Caja window.
If there were some other benefits from that extension like some special environment variables, you know like that Extension for Pluma that sets some variables when it opens a terminal on keybind, I’d maybe use it.

I think it would make a great addition to the options in Mate Tweak. Installed by default, but not activated unless the user chooses to make it so. Another option would be to not install it by default, but make it available from the Welcome app.

3 Likes

I created an account just to vote yes. KDE’s Dolphin has had a feature like this for years (terminal path follows filebrowser location), and I’ve always missed it when returning to MATE / GNOME. Does it still work ok in dual-pane mode (F3)?

I work with a lot of terminals so I think it would be handy.

I used it last 2 months and quite efficient. But it would be great if we can use HUD to summon it and pls move “open” to icon in tool panel.

Hallo

I use CTRL+Alt+T as this is universal (in my experience).

Others may find it useful though. :slight_smile:

I find it would be very useful :slight_smile:

More choice is always good… but.
I just Right click and “Open in terminal”
I have my terminal set to use “fish” so it auto fills most commands.
but I’m lazy and a Noob.

This was a neat feature of Nautilus Elementary and something I liked in Nemo as a means of quickly touching up a directory as the terminal changed with the path of the directory bar. However I had grown use to the three-finger salute for the terminal I would still like this as a choice. I have arranged several perspectives about this after having given my original post more thought;

Home use
Persons using this extension of Caja would need to ensure their young children do not touch the PC while the file manager is opened, or supervise rather carefully as any child can input random garbage and accidentally corrupt attached media devices, permanently affecting the filesystem in a variety of negative ways For a highly-restrictive single-user environment this is a good thing to use.

Corporate / Office use
No. This is a vulnerability for anyone skilled in dealing with a general-purpose Linux system, which can lead to confidential works being stolen. Due to the capability of user error I would suggest anything resembling a terminal be optional to install, including Tilda.

It could also be argued people should lock their PCs, but in that case we need a way to enable that at-will so a webcam detects a user’s presence, then locks when a user is away for fifteen seconds or something like that.

Terminal training
This can be rather useful as a means of teaching people how to manipulate the file system, or training oneself to manipulate the filesystem via the terminal so when the GUI isn’t available to an end-user, said end-user can act in confidence having seen a visual example, and having those examples spacially bound to the windows or tabs they are in.

A cool extension to caja would be the way gnome handles the progress bar https://i.stack.imgur.com/q6bE3.png how it integrates into the file manager instead of there being a second dialogue window

Looks neat. However I counter that I like the separate dialog because it can be moved to a separate window, which takes less space than the entire FM when I can monitor something else underneath.

If the idea became mandatory I would advocate for popping the progress out, or make MATE’s window list add progress support like Win7.

I am blind that not possible, Seeing it every day and never thought to use it, it’s your comment which opens my mind and gives it a try…
This right-click on a directory is Awesome!

With a near 80% votes for it, it should be installed by default :wink:
Now should it be activated by default?

People using terminal will always find the option to activate it because they are more knowledgeable than the simple users.
People who never use terminal will find a "useless" button on the way or a button which can scare when you click on it.

Terminal can be scary for most users, as people think it's a thing for hardcore programmers and might be dangerous for the OS if you input any wrong letters by mistake (for example my wife think I am a computer's god just because I input "sudo apt-get install software" and many green lines appear in the terminal, Although I am just a normal guy trying to learn 3 commands with the terminal).

I do not know about system management but would it be more simple when we create an account to be able to check/uncheck in the users and group the option like the screenshot below (This my son account) ?
Just a suggestion :wink: