XDG-URL app pre-installed in ubuntu-mate

Hey all, found out that in order to easily download themes, icons and all sorts of stuff from gnome-look.org, you need an app called xdg-url which lets you click “install button” on files in that site.

I think should be included in ubuntu-mate pre-installed to be more friendly to new users, hopefully for zesty zapus or as an update in software updater.

Thats my idea, what do you guys think?

1 Like

Hi @Pablo_Perez_Gutierre,

I like the idea, it could be possibly included in Welcome, it would certainly be a great addition to the tools there!. :smiley:

@wolfman Thank you would rock to have it as a tool

1 Like

Maybe @lah7 can accommodate you?. :smiley:

Should I send a message?

Hi @Pablo_Perez_Gutierre,

wait until he responds, with his name showing above; he will get an alert, just be patient!. :smiley:

@wolfman

Ok thanks! Ill wait

1 Like

I’m not in charge of the packages that are pre-installed (which are metapackages like ubuntu-mate-desktop and ubuntu-mate-core). However, I summon @Wimpy who could add his thoughts on adding xdg-url.

We could consider adding a link in Welcome – but we must be sure many gnome-look.org themes work great in MATE and especially GTK 3 compatibility (there’s many versions of these).

1 Like

Just taken a quick look, xgd-url doesn’t appear to be packaged for Debian or Ubuntu and is therefore not in the archive.

It would require packaging and adding to Debian before it can be included in Ubuntu MATE Welcome.

2 Likes

So will it be in zesty zapus?

Im a newbie in linux but this tool does help automate some downloads from APT-links

1 Like