Xrdp connection problem

Hello. I am having a problem connecting to my Raspberry Pi 3 running Ubuntu Mate 16.04 from my laptop running Linux Mint 17.3 KDE. I am setting up the RPi as my main file server. My laptop is connected directly to the RPi via an ethernet cable, and I use wifi to connect to my phone and tablets. Xdrp was working just fine but while messing around with Webmin, Samba, etc… on the RPi all of a sudden it stopped working. I can ssh to it via wifi or ethernet, and watch movies and listen to music from the drives connected to the RPi from all of my devices but neither xrdp or vnc works. I’ve tried KRDC (the KDE remote desktop app), Remmina, TightVNCserver, Vino, … with no success. Using xrdp via Remmina, either it logs in successfully, then the screen just goes away (wifi) or I get a connection error message (ethernet). VNC gives me a no server found error message no matter what client app I try. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Few things:

• Start by making sure whatever vnc server you’re using on the RPi is actually running (ie: ps axu | grep [v]ino)
  • Remmina has an option to tunnel VNC/rdp connections through SSH, this will work around a miss-configured firewall since you have SSH access
  • If using vino, check it’s configured correctly using the command vino-preferences