Yaru I hate you

Trying to fight againsta awfull, tasteless, dark and hardly recognizable Yaru theme and missing nice elegant and sober Ambiant :grinning: : I have found this web

But I don't know how to load these desktop themes to my Ubuntu 22.04

Does anyone know? Thanks a lot in advance

download them, unzip them and put them in you .themes folder, however they do not all have the correct components to work always, also they have to be gtk 3 themes, gnome shell themes do nothing in mate

So then nothing to do until Mate Desktop adds some awesome theme again. Thank you

So then nothing to do unless Mate desktop add some awesome theme. Thabks

The Mate themes should be there in the official repository, separate from the Yaru themes, just install them with Synaptic or the command line. No need to unzip or move, they go right where they belong.

sudo apt-get install mate-themes

mate-themes
Official themes for the MATE desktop

This package contains the official desktop themes of the MATE desktop
environment.

The themes provided for the MATE desktop partially resemble themes that
are well known from GNOMEv2 desktops. However, the MATE team also prepared
some new themes esp. for MATE (Menta, GreenLaguna, TraditionalGreen,
TraditionalOk, and BlackMate).

2 Likes

Thank you Jymm. Firstly I could not get them because synaptic makes case sensitive and I ommited to put an "s" at the end of theme. Now I have them installed personally traidicional look is the most acceptable. Thank u for your help

1 Like

For any one stumbling across this topic and want Ambiant-MATE and Radiant-MATE themes for 22.04 -- they have a new home here:

And regarding the colour themes:

3 Likes

Looks good. I have just installed packages from your PPA to freshly installed Ubuntu MATE 22.04 LTS daily build by using below comands:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:lah7/ambiant-mate
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install ambiant-mate-colours-all

then selected needed theme from MATE Control Center → Appearance.

Now the system looks traditional and cool! Thank you!
Retrospective future is back!

4 Likes

Thank you. I had already solved as I clone entire disk and save cloned files I can switch fom 20.04 to 22.04 many times a day so yesterday I copied usr/share/themes and usr/share/icons from the 20.04 to a secondary hdd. Anter restoring 22.04 I copied content of both folders and I have now Ambiant Mate again.

Sincerely I guess that there might be a valid reason for Ubuntu Mate team to remove both Ambiant and Radiant as both themes are (in my opinion) sober and the most beautiful at all

In the githhub I found ppa to get Ambiant (I did not see Radiant) but it's enough for me and I save those ppa repositories

Thank you for the info !!!

@lah7

Do you harte yaru?
Took a fresh yaru and modded it, like i had done it with yarok and yarugreen from mate themes.

I am not that often on github.
Need some days-/ hours for panel and full gtk2 look but once panel is done i can send it to you.
Schould run as well as the original gtk2 while being faster and easier to maintain. If gtk4 supports theming again it could be ported directly!