ran this:

mickee@mickeymouse:~$ ps -e|grep polkit-mate-authentication-agent-1
mickee@mickeymouse:~$

so I don't think its running?

1 Like

checked the properties of the file:

Hi again, @mickee

You wrote:

If something in your Ubuntu MATE 22.04 system / installation / setup is still requiring "polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1" besides "polkit-mate-authentication-agent-1", then I guess (may I may be wrong!) that you may try to install the "policykit-1-gnome" package (by running the command sudo apt install policykit-1-gnome) which is the package that provides that "/usr/lib/policykit-1-gnome/polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1" file.

I've found the following related and useful (but relatively old - from 2019) discussion here in the "Ubuntu MATE Community" (started by @mate2go and replied to by @Norbert_X):

For what it's worth, I don't have the "polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1" stuff in any of my two Ubuntu MATE 22.04 installations (one is a fresh install; the other installation has started being Ubuntu MATE 18.04, then later upgraded to 20.04 and later upgraded again to 22.04). I only have the "polkit-mate -authentication-agent-1" stuff:

$ ls -l /etc/xdg/autostart/pol*
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 7796 dez 11  2021 /etc/xdg/autostart/polkit-mate-authentication-agent-1.desktop
$ apt list --installed | grep -i 'pol[ki]'

WARNING: apt does not have a stable CLI interface. Use with caution in scripts.

gir1.2-polkit-1.0/jammy,now 0.105-33 amd64 [installed,automatic]
libpolkit-agent-1-0/jammy,now 0.105-33 amd64 [installed,automatic]
libpolkit-gobject-1-0/jammy,now 0.105-33 amd64 [installed,automatic]
mate-polkit-common/jammy,now 1.26.0-1 amd64 [installed,automatic]
mate-polkit/jammy,now 1.26.0-1 amd64 [installed]
policykit-1/jammy,now 0.105-33 amd64 [installed,automatic]
policykit-desktop-privileges/jammy,jammy,now 0.21 all [installed,automatic]
polkitd/jammy,now 0.105-33 amd64 [installed,automatic]
2 Likes

I installed that polkit-gnome, issue persists. Did I miss something you have said?

mickee@mickeymouse:~$ ls -l /etc/xdg/autostart/pol*
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  363 Mar  9  2022 /etc/xdg/autostart/polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1.desktop
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 7796 Dec 10  2021 /etc/xdg/autostart/polkit-mate-authentication-agent-1.desktop

I tried this from the startup manager:

mickee@mickeymouse:~$ sudo /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/polkit-mate/polkit-mate-authentication-agent-1
[sudo] password for mickee: 

(polkit-mate-authentication-agent-1:661844): GLib-CRITICAL **: 20:35:47.385: g_variant_new_string: assertion 'string != NULL' failed

(polkit-mate-authentication-agent-1:661844): polkit-mate-1-WARNING **: 20:35:47.386: Failed to register client: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.gnome.SessionManager was not provided by any .service files

I am not sure what to do next. I did install the gnome polkit but cannot remove it. I looked in Synaptic and it is not listed as being installed. Tried to remove using apt, says doesn't exist?

I installed gnome-system-tools and that added Users and Groups in the Control Center. I am unable to look at or modify my user settings as it also requires authentication to do that. I have 23.04 installed in a VM and am able to see and modify my user account. Note: Both show "custom" as type of account - advanced settings are not available for me to see the permissions etc on my account. Note that the new user I created in my affected machine has no issues and will pop up the Authentication window every time its needed. Do you think it will just be easier to just use the new login and restore my /home dir from there? Ideally I would like to fix my main user account rather than use a new user. But maybe its easier just to do that? Note: The new user cannot mount/read my external hard disks, so not sure why that's happening. They used to be available in my 'bad' user. Now no access to them with either user account.

Thanks again for all your help @ricmarques - I really appreciate it.

@ricmarques I dunno. I think it may be easier to just use my new user account. Only issue I find with that is I am unable to mount/read my removable hard disks. I have 4 of those and get access denied.

Hi, @mickee.

If you have now installed the " policykit-1-gnome" package, you should now have the file /usr/lib/policykit-1-gnome/polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1 that you were missing (according to your "grep -i 'polkit' /var/log/syslog" output), right? Have you tried rebooting and testing again after you installed that package?

Ok I will reboot and get back to you

1 Like

On the Ubuntu forums I was told I caused this issue from running sudo apt update too often... I usually run the update every day or two. Does that even really make sense?

Someone on Ubuntu forums asked me to run this. Is it safe?

While logged in as your second user
Code:

sudo deluser OriginalUserName sudo
sudo deluser OriginalUserName plugdev

Code:

sudo adduser OriginalUserName sudo
sudo adduser OriginalUserName plugdev

Then test your original user...

Hi, @mickee.

You wrote:

Well, I use the following settings in the "Updates" tab of "Software & Updates" in my Ubuntu MATE 22.04 ("Jammy Jellyfish") installations:

Subscribed to: "All updates"
Automatically check for updates: "Daily"
When there are security updates: "Download and install automatically"
When there are other updates: "Display weekly"
Notify me of a new Ubuntu version: "For long-term support versions"

Screenshot:

1 Like

Hi again, @mickee .

You wrote:

So, what the "sudo deluser OriginalUserName sudo" command does is remove the user "OriginalUserName" from the "sudo" group. Similarly, "sudo deluser OriginalUserName plugdev" removes the user "OriginalUserName" from the "plugdev" group. I'm guessing the idea of running those commands using the "second user" account is to make sure that that second user also has "sudo" privileges (if it doesn't, the commands will most likely fail to execute).

Note that, according to that approach, you'll also have to execute the last two commands that put the "OriginalUserName" back in the "sudo" and "plugdev" groups ("sudo adduser OriginalUserName sudo" and "sudo adduser OriginalUserName plugdev) using your "second account" because, by then, "OriginalUserName" will no longer have sudo privileges.

I don't feel very comfortable with that approach, although I guess that it may work. I would prefer to (first) try my previous suggestion of rebooting and testing again the access with your original user account, after having installed the "policykit-1-gnome" package (have you done that? Did that work?). If you do want to try those "sudo" commands, I would first create a backup of the "/etc/passwd", "/etc/group" and "/etc/sudoers" and, ideally, back up all your other important files, just in case.

2 Likes

same update config on my PC

I was able to get access to my external drives by uninstalling chrome-remote-desktop

2 Likes

I rebooted and it still doesn't work. It does work in the new admin user I created. Might be time to fish and cut bait and just migrate all my stuff to the new user. It's uuid won't be 1000 will that cause any issues? I transferred my /home files to the new user in a sub directory then changed the permissions on that folder and it contents. I have access to these files now. Unless there is something else we can try, I think I've taken up enough of your time Ricardo. Again thanks for your help!

1 Like

I'm glad that you've been able to solve most of your issues, @mickee :slight_smile: Just a very small correction, if I may: it's a UID (User Identifier) 1000 and not a UUID (which would be an Universally Unique Identifier) 1000. There's nothing wrong regarding having a user with a UID different from 1000.

I'm not sure, when you say that you've "changed the permissions on that [sub directory] folder and its contents", if you mean that you changed the ownership of the files in that sub directory that belonged to your old user so that they now belong to your new user. If that's what you mean, that sounds fine to me. I think you're good. Well done! :slight_smile:

1 Like

for no apparent reason this is now working! Weird. But I have a new pc to install fresh, i7, 16GB RAM 2.2TB hard disk. Current is a i5, 16GB RAM with 4TB hard disk. I will turn that into a removable hard disk. I don't know why this whole issue just went away after a reboot. I swear I did reboots before when trying to solve the issue. It will remain a mystery!

2 Likes