You'll soon be able to run Ubuntu on Windows 10

What kind o sick joke is this? If this is true, that Canonical will be partnering up with Microsoft I won’t bother waiting for 16.04. Oh well I always knew that I had to get my hands dirty with Arch eventually.

2 Likes

They have worked together for sometime… but my understanding is it’s just putting the shell on Windows. I don’t think it is necessarily a reason to jump ship. Besides it’s Linux stuff being added to windows, not windows stuff being added to Linux.

Cheers,
Tim

2 Likes

What bothers me is Canonical helping out Microsoft. What did they do for Linux or for open source? I think it was recently that they announced their database system for Linux… yeah sure because Linux is the most popular OS for servers. Will we be seeing MS Office or something like that? Hell even a decent version of skype? I guess not.

Sorry, I love Ubuntu MATE, but I won’t use it any more, I’m afraid.

1 Like

I'm reading it the same way

Canonical and Microsoft are doing this because Ubuntu on Windows' target audience is developers, not desktop users.

Whats wrong with that?

Ever heard the expression “We don’t negotiate with terrorists in any circumstance”?

Well, I don’t support companies or developers that team up with Microsoft.

I don’t want to convince anyone to follow my steps. I just wanted to spread the news and share my point of view on the subject.

1 Like

You know if that is the case, you would have to stop using redhat stuff, docker, SUSE, XEN, they were at one point the top Kernel contributor also, so you may have to switch to BSD? … They’re hands are in a lot of places. And as of late they have been actually being pretty positive in their interactions with the OSS community as a whole.

Cheers,
Tim

Good point. Maybe you would be happy with unix base system. If ubuntu runs on win10, then that pretty much means to me that linux of any kind will run eventually.

Here is a somewhat left-field point of view. Many years ago I worked for a company and we used OpenVMS for our systems. I ended up pretty proficient as a sysadmin on VAX&Alpha systems. To me, I still have a soft spot for that wonderful OS, the core sub-systems were secure and very very difficult to crash.

OpenVMS isn’t Unix or *nix of course but there are a lot of similarities between the systems, although logical names is a brilliant concept still not used in the mainstream.

When DEC was taken over by COMPAQ (or around that time) the kernel developers for OpenVMS went to work for a company called Microsoft to make changes to their WindowsNT systems. The core of what was the good version of NT, then Windows2000 then XP and beyond is in effect based upon the core functions of OpenVMS. It shows that the stuff M$ put on top of this is the issue for reliability etc not the deep heart of the OS.

So the point is that if M$ can take in the core of other systems and improve then perhaps Canonical working with them may push them in a much better direction and improve things for everyone who wants to either move from M$ or, as a lot of people do, switch between the systems based on the task they are doing. Me? I stick with UM at home but work is still a M$ house and I’m not a sysadmin anymore. I still miss being able to type “$ set def sys$system”!

PS. I also think that M$ “borrowed” some of the commands from VMS for their early MS-DOS, DIR for example. I may be wrong. I also think some of CP/M was based on VMS, or at least the PDP11 syntax.

I came across this on OMG Ubuntu! :

From what I can see, this is just command line tools they’re working on – it mentions they’re unlikely to bring over Unity – I don’t quite understand what the intentions are for either Canonical or Microsoft. Too early to tell. :worried: (Comment sections can give some clues :popcorn:)

It could be an attempt from Microsoft to keep Windows 10 developers less likely to leave the Windows eco-system as they have Linux/Ubuntu tools at their disposal. Windows 10 will be adding a Linux sub-system too. :confused:

I don’t see Microsoft as a threat but as @parzzix points out, Microsoft have been quite positive towards open source lately.

Switching distros is a bit of a overreaction - that reminds me when many users switched because of the “Ubuntu Amazon spyware”, even though it could of been disabled entirely.

Just my thoughts on the subject.

Another article:

1 Like

Regarding the comments about “Microsoft being positive towards open source”.

I think you should read this :joy:

2 Likes

Sounds just like the age-old Microsoft anti-competition tactics.

Here’s another article:

Article shared by Canonical:
https://insights.ubuntu.com/2016/03/30/ubuntu-on-windows-the-ubuntu-userspace-for-windows-developers/

I'm neutral whether this news is good or bad for the future. :neutral_face:

I can see this to be an alternate or replacement for Cygwin - a project that provided a Bash shell with GNU utilities for Windows. Now it's just native and integrated deeper with Microsoft's help.

I've read comments for and against -- one said this is like the opposite of Wine. Another commenter says this makes it easier to run free software and is a win-win. Possibly true, some of these are GNU utilities or free software:

bash, apt, ssh, rsync, find, grep, awk, sed, sort, xargs, md5sum, gpg, curl, wget, apache, mysql, python, perl, ruby, php, gcc, tar, vim, emacs, diff, patch…

I'd be interested to hear what Richard Stallman would have to say.

Some more informative links I came across for anyone interested.

Here’s how Windows 10’s Ubuntu-based Bash shell will actually work - PC World

30 minute //build/ video

Don’t expect a graphical Linux desktop, either. “We are also only working on command line,” says Microsoft’s

Well, I do :slight_smile:

The next generation wubi??

I heard about this news around a week ago and am not happy about it at all. So, much so, in fact, that I decided to move from a Canonical based distro (in my case, UM) over to straight Debian with Mate. However, after a week of wrestling with Debian, I am compelled to come back to UM with my tail between my legs. I am still not happy about Canonical’s actions vis a vis MS. But, it is not UM’s fault and, dammit, I just can’t live without UM!

There it is.

3 Likes

@stevecook172001.

Don’t worry Steve, we forgive you for flirting with Debian!. :smiley:

2 Likes