A twofold query regarding our 'UUMATE' respin?

Hi all, this is a twofold query - to assist with a another family member’s needs.

Personally, I have been a happy user of Ubuntu Mate for a few months, now; and because I am so satisfied, it now is my sole Distro.

My wife, though, who has also become a loyal user, finds that she needs to do some production work on Wine. Therefore, instead of just installing it, she has decided to use our @Sergio_Schneider’s critically acclaimed and fully loaded spin on our beloved Ubuntu MATE - ‘UUMATE’ (pre-installed wine, etc). She would appreciate any feedback concerning the respin vs our regular U-MATE

Moreover, I worry about critters reaping havoc on her system via Wine’s indulgences - and will appreciate any advice I can give her on this topic, and/or on using Clam - if, indeed, this security software is a good way to go.

I have succeeded in not having go astray from the world of Linux, for any my needs; but we all can’t be so lucky, I hear, and I furthermore hear Wine bridges that gap fairly well for those folks.

Thanks! :wink:

Hi mated,

it seems to have mixed reviews, some good and some bad!, there is really only one way to try it out but be warned, if the original DVD has any graphics card drivers installed and you don’t have the same graphics card, it will most likely crash your system!.

That said, the only way to find out is to take it for a test drive!.

If your Frau is in need of Windblows alternatives, take a look here:

http://www.linuxalt.com/

If you use Linux alternatives, you won’t need Wine!. :smiley: (I’m not sure how actual the list is!).

1 Like

As always, thanks a million, @wolfman! :laughing:

I checked out the great link you sent: maybe CinePaint will be better for her than reg GIMP, but this whole need for Wine, Virt-Manager/KVM, or VirtualBox revolves around a production need she simply cannot fulfill without Photoshop.

The Frau has tried for 1/2 a year to find a Linux alternative which will work for her during job duties as a graphic artist. Everything is Linux for her now except Photoshop; so now she wishes to ditch her parallel Windows and merely have some way to run this one Windows/Mac based product. I am going to make a new (more intelligible) post :dizzy_face: that addresses just the one issue. :sweat:

1 Like

Hi Mated. I do quite a lot of graphical/CGI and audio stuff on Ubuntu. Consequently. I actually have Ubuntu Studio 14.04 with Ubuntu MATE desktop installed over the top. Works really well.

Just thought I’d mention it as an option.

1 Like

(Mated’s wife here) I have looked at Ubuntu Studio, however my work is more publishing oriented rather than CGI and audio, mostly typography, advertising design, page layout, etc., and as of yet, there is nothing that works as well as the Adobe products. Thanks for the suggestion, though. :smile:

2 Likes

I haven’t tried it but Photoshop seems to work fine in Wine:

https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=25607

For the critters reaping havoc you worry about, you could install ClamAV and the gui Clamtk.

Hi Randalicia.

Yes, I do accept that on the DTP front, Linux is a bit lacking ( have you had a look at Kompozer http://sourceforge.net/projects/kompozer/files/). However, Ubuntu studio has wine installed by default and installing Virtualbox is a two minute job immediately after installing UStudio. I personally have MS Office, including MS Publisher and Adobe Writer and Photoshop.

The only thing to remember with Vbox, though, is that 3d hardware acceleration does not work. However, this is only noticeable on video and CGI work. For all other stuff you wont notice.

Additionally, all of your peripheral devices will work with Vbox. Things such as printers, scanners, cameras etc.

Finally, you can set up a shared folder between Vbox and your host Linux OS such that, in real time, you can share files between the two. This is a very useful feature when you just need to pop into a Windows application for a few minutes to apply a specific effect or feature to a file.

Of course, Vbox can be installed in Umate just as easily as it can be installed in UStudio. So, if most of the stuff in Ustudio is superfluous to you, you might be best advised ti just install it in Umate.

Thanks so much for the link. I will try again to get it right.

I have used Kompozer for html editing, but I have to adhere to print industry standard i.e. Adobe CS/CC for the design jobs. I tried Wine once more for the install, but I seem to be having an issue with my copy of PS now, it opens, but does not fully load. I will try it in VB later on. Thanks for all you input and helpful advice. :relaxed:

Here is a tip for you people, if you want to do a quick install of Ubuntu (Mate), you can do an install and install your favourite apps quite quickly and still keep your home folder intact if you firstly follow this guide:

Once you are done with your install and normal system updates, create (beforehand) a meta terminal command like my example below with all your favourite apps listed, all you need to do is then open a terminal and paste your meta command into it and wait for all your apps to install, restart and everything (apart from possibly a few settings) should be back the way it was!:

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install synaptic shutter gparted gpart xsane hplip-gui deluge bleachbit libreoffice me-tv kaffeine linux-firmware-nonfree devede handbrake libxine2-all-plugins transcode ubuntu-restricted-extras vamps videotrans playonlinux mono-complete p7zip-rar winbind kshisen amarok kontact skype faac flac chameleon-cursor-theme clamtk mate-desktop-environment-extras alien k3b chromium-browser pepperflashplugin-nonfree nvidia-current

MAKE SURE THAT THE PACKAGE NAMES YOU WRITE IN YOUR COMMAND ARE ALL LOWER CASE AND REFLECT THE REAL NAME OF THE PACKAGE AS SPELLING MISTAKES WILL BE PUNISHED!. :smiley:

Hope it helps!.

2 Likes

@wolfman, @stevecook172001, @wizd3m

Thanks to everyone for your helpful advice, I was able to get Photoshop to install and work in Virtual Box. I really appreciate all your help. :smile: :sunny:

2 Likes

Wonderful topic, everyone. I run into the same issue with my college classes. I will create a new topic to explain in greater detail my solution to this problem. Linux ROCKS!!! :joy:

2 Likes

The solution for me is Windows 7 in a box...now setting it up again on 16.04 Alpha 1. :wink:

1 Like