Backing up current state (drive image)

First of all this is my first post. Hello to all of you. I am very happy with this dist, I have tried almost 5 different dist before Ubuntu Mate. Hope everything goes well from now on.

Since I have made a perfect customization for my Mate lets say I am at “Point A” It is really crucial for me if I mess up something (I am a beginner in Linux) it would be easy for me to go back to “Point A”

My hard disk is around 500GB, but usage is around 6 GB now. Would it be possible to make a usb stick that when I plug it in and install the Mate it takes me directly “Point A”, yes I am a dreamer :slight_smile:.

I really don’t know yet the possibilities that Ubuntu Mate can provide me, please educate me.

Thanks for your time and sorry for my first long post :blush:

Hi,

See:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BackupYourSystem

If you have to re-install, you can use this guide to do so keeping your data intact if you already have a “swap”, “root” and “home” partition set-up:

Hello! Welcome to the community!

You’re not dreaming, you can do exactly save snapshots with a tool called Clonezilla. :slight_smile:

Clonezilla Live is a bootable Linux distribution (from a live CD/USB) which contains Clonezilla to create “snapshots” of your system exactly the way it is now. When you choose to save/restore the image, you have the choice of a USB flash drive, USB hard drive or even over a network.

At first, the tool can look a bit scary - as it’s not graphical, but it’s very powerful and contains a step-by-step guide for each step if you need it.

There is just Clonezilla which can be installed from the Ubuntu repositories, but I’m not 100% sure if it can clone the system when it’s in use.

1 Like

Thanks for your feedback.

First I tried System back and it does decent job. But it is not a real clone of the system like other users file and setting are missing in the clone.

Clonezilla is definitally powerfull tool to go.

I have found two different videos, and helped me clone my system.

If you watch the videos above you will be ready to clone.

4 Likes

Welcome, @halisemre, looks like you’re moving right along! :ok_hand::raised_hands:

I, too, hopped around before settling here last Fall.

If you are looking for things to be smoother, more functional, more attractive, and perhaps fun, then UMATE and our community will, likely, have you hopelessly hooked in no time.

1 Like