Not Enough Free Disk Space

Hi All,

Separate to my previous post, I’m having another issue. When I check for updates, there’s approx. 220mb of available security patches and updates available. When I click ‘install now’, I get an error:

Not enough free disk space. The upgrade needs a total of 48.2m free space on disk /boot.

I’m using a 16GB micro SD card. There appears to be a 66MB PI_BOOT FAT partition and a 16GB PI_ROOT Ext4 partition.

How / where can I free some space or extend the PI_BOOT partition into the ext4 partition?

Thanks!

Dunno which is your ext4 partition. Maybe i should remember that from reading a previous post.

Anyway, one thing to look at is how many kernel images are on your system. And along with them all the headers and suchlike that come along with them. There’s an apt command that’ll do that but i’ve never done it. Another thing you can do is have apt clean up its cache where it stores the .deb files it’s downloaded.

What i’d start with is running Baobab to see where the space is. In the main menu it’s under “System Tools” as “MATE Disk Usage Analyzer”. If you haven’t used it before, it’s quite good imo. However if you have a bunch of links, especially bind links as i’m prone to use, it can get a little confused about which filesystem is being talked about. In any case i’d start there since its pie-charts will let you home right in on the fat places, then you can decide what tools are best for cleaning things up.

Assuming that your ext4 partition immediately follows your root partition on the device, to expand the root partition you’d have to resize or move the ext4 partition and then resize the root partition.

I’d start with The “MATE Disk Usage Analyzer” myself. HTH.

see here:

2 Likes

Hi,
I ran into the same problem. I followed advice to remove SD from RPi and with another machine (U-Mate of course!) I copied the contents of the PI_BOOT Partition to my hard drive. I then used GPartEd to delete the PI_BOOT partition, and shrink the PI_ROOT partition. I shrunk PI_ROOT by 220Mb (you could choose more) and then used the space recovered to recreate a FAT16 partition of 220Mb called PI_BOOT. I then copied the old PI_BOOT contents into the new and could do all necessary updates (quite a few had mounted up by the time I got this done). PI_BOOT does not have to be the first partition, and the old 66Mb is ignored. The system is running smoothly now for 2 months 24/7.

The main challenge I had was caused by having a 12Gb website on my 32Gb SD in the PI_ROOT partition. GPartEd took about 8+hours overnight to shrink the PI_ROOT partition by 220Mb. On the youTube video it was near instantaneous! This was somewhat nerve racking, but it worked out just fine. I recommend making a backup of your SD card if you have valuable information on it! You will sleep better than I did!

1 Like