Timing problems when i turn off my computer

Hi everyone, I have a Dell-Inspiron and as I just wrote, when i turn off my computer it seems to be stuck, precisely it remains on the loading desktop for 3,4 min [or I just simply using the “ON/OFF” botton]. It happens some times not always. The only thing that I can include is that I’ve installed Ubuntu before Ubuntu Mate and this “problem” didn’t happen. Now i don’t know if that is a real problem, but is better to ask and to figure out my doubt.

Thanks and byebye =)

Possibly one of your startup processes is not shutting down correctly. Open a virtual terminal and go there when you shutdown, activate ‘top’ and see if you can spot any errant process. Also check you logs for any hints of trouble.

1 Like

Did you follow this advice when creating your boot media?. :smiley:

1 Like

Something else you could do is press ESC, and you may be able to see some useful messages. If you do, post them here!

ok I’ll try everything you said. thank you!

this is what looks like:
Apr 3 17:54:58 riccardo-Inspiron-7347 kernel: [ 7167.302688] [drm:intel_pipe_config_compare [i915]] ERROR mismatch in ips_enabled (expected 1, found 0)
Apr 3 17:54:58 riccardo-Inspiron-7347 kernel: [ 7167.302699] ------------[ cut here ]------------
Apr 3 17:54:58 riccardo-Inspiron-7347 kernel: [ 7167.302762] WARNING: CPU: 0 PID: 1222 at /build/linux-HVWSXI/linux-4.2.0/drivers/gpu/drm/i915/intel_display.c:12340 check_crtc_state+0x2c5/0x440 i915
Apr 3 17:54:58 riccardo-Inspiron-7347 kernel: [ 7167.302765] pipe state doesn’t match!

I’m sorry I don’t know how to fix that.

Hopefully someone else will see this thread and have more ideas than myself!

1 Like

I would say you have a broken install?, assuming your are you using 15.10?, try running the following terminal commands (Ctrl + Alt + t) and restarting (If you are running 16.04 beta, you can use the repair options in “Welcome” too!):

sudo apt-get --fix-missing install

The above command downloads and installs any missing packages on your system.

sudo apt-get --fix-broken install

The above command downloads and installs any broken dependencies on your system.

1 Like

I also wonder if running a HDD check would show anything.

1 Like

I have Ubuntu 15.10, and after that I’ve installed Ubuntu Mate (Mate desktop Enviroment 1.12.1. I’ll try what you say.
Thank you all for the support =)!

Nothing to fix or nothing that is missing, both commands say the same thing:“0 updated, 0 installed, 0 not installed and 0 to remove”. I’ve only removed with the command: “sudo apt-get autoremove” some useless file yesterday, and after that the problem has not yet submitted. It is hiding :joy:

I think that is better to reinstall Ubuntu Mate from zero. Just to be sure.

Hi Rick,

I suggest you use this method to save you some time with your fresh installation!: