1080p monitor not recognized on Pi 3

I bought this nice, new/used monitor so I wouldn’t constantly be haunting the entertainment center with my hobbies.

I’m running 16.04, and for some reason the full resolution of the display is not being detected. The display defaults to 1824x984 instead of 1920x1080 and no other options are displayed in the Monitor Preferences.

There appear to be solutions to similar questions around the 'net, but some are a little unclear, and almost all deal with the Pi 2 on 15.10.

I apprecieate any help.

P.S. The inclusion of a drop-down terminal by default officially makes this hands-down, the best respin of any distro ever.

Hi @teslas_moustache,

boot up your unit and then look on the monitor for the reset function (preferably “Auto”) and see if that solves it for you?. :smiley:

I’ve had a couple of problems on my normal PC where the res changes randomly and I just reset the monitor and the res is fine after that!. :smiley:

See also:

Referred link:

The adjustments I can make to the monitor directly are a little limited. The only option which changes anything relevant is called “Aspect Control”. I can change it from ‘Full’ to ‘Overscan’, which slightly increases the image size, but creates this odd shearing effect that makes text look really annoying.

If it helps at all, the monitor is an Asus VX229.

According to this manual, you can reset it for optimal res (on page 9, there are 2 x button number two):

Have you tried “Game Plus”? on page 13?. :smiley:

Well, that is a good find. But neither of those options do anything relevant. The Quick Fit funtion shows some grids, but doesn’t allow you to resize the display. The different Modes (Scenery Mode, Game Mode, etc.) just change the brightness and color temperature. Game Plus is kind of cool, though. This thing apparenlty has a built-in timer.

And I really don’t think the monitor is the problem, as I get a full 1080p display when I attach my laptop to this thing.

1 Like

Have a look around the Raspi forum, it might help?:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/

1 Like