16.04 PPC install--home folder fails to open from "Places" menu

Continuing to run and update MATE 16.04 PPC system on my PowerMac 3,1 G4 . . . generally all is well. However over several weeks and a number of large dist-upgrades a problem with opening the home & desktop folders from the “Places” drop down menu does not open the folder; instead GDebi package installer opens and then an error window opens saying “could not open ‘non_space’ . . . the package might be corrupted or you are not allowed to open the file. Check permissions of the file.”

Clicking on “computer” from the same list opens the folder, as does clicking on the desktop home folder icon . . . . Happy to file a bug report if that will help out, posting here first as per Martin’s request for reporting issues.

n_s

Yep, good talk peeps . . . did another “dist-upgrade” this am and problem continues–seems like if you click on one thing and an entirely other application opens, with an error message, that this is an actual bug qualifier, no?

n_s

I am experiencing the same issue… :frowning:

I have resolved this for my machine. I went to system>Preferences>Personal>Preferred Applications> System Tab and changed File Manager to the preferred file manager. Worked for me, hope it can help you.

b_g:

Thanks for the follow-up . . . I’ll check that in a few days, appreciate the post on the topic. I think at one point I did do something with the File Manager . . . for some purpose. This issue isn’t a “show stopper” . . . just reporting it while in the Beta phase.

n_s

Hi

Yes I’m getting this error as well :frowning:

Hope a fix will be released soon.

psssst - look at my thread if you are using wireless n with imac g5 2006 ppc running ubuntu mate ppc.

Thanks

@mrfabjr:

I believe that following this suggestion did resolve the issue for my install. I may be revisiting this problem because my 16.04 install got borked trying to add the dev ppa and upgrade the MATE DE to 1.16 . . . probably have to do a re-install at some point. But, for you, try to adjust the file manager and see if that works.

n_s