16.04 - When Stable is Released

I am going to wait, and just stick with 15.10 for the time being; but a family member wishes to get 16.04 going now.

So then, her question orbits the notion of what the update process will entail up until April - and then (most importantly) once 16.04: Stable is released.

She, primarily, wants verify that there would be no reason for her to do a fresh install of 16.04 again, in April, if she puts 16.04 in today (there is the concern that new features, put in between now & Stable, will be left out of her environment without doing a fresh install at that time). :blush:

Thanks!

2 Likes

Waiting for the final release on 21st April 2016 is for the best if you desire stability and want a computer that works.

Alpha and Beta releases are intended for those willing to test and report bugs. Some may be adventurous and use it as their daily driver, but for general users and the impatient, hang tight! Everything is in the rough edges during this stage, then gets smoother closer to release.

When it’s time, upgrading from 15.10 to 16.04 is easy. Although, I know some users wait a few days so any bugs as a result from upgrading are fixed before they do.

You could upgrade from an alpha/beta version of 16.04 to the final release, but it’s generally recommended to clean install so there are no traces that could cause glitches later. :wink:

All I can suggest is to quietly relief your family member who seems really eager for the next LTS! :blush:

2 Likes

@mated

Another alternative is to install 16.04 Alpha and keep updating it, when the final is finished, do a fresh install and use the something else method to keep your files and settings intact, you will still have to re-install your apps though!:

DO NOT FORMAT THE HOME PARTITION!.

2 Likes

That is a terrific response, lah7, for this crew over here with me, as well as the countless others (semi/seasoned noobs who know just enough to be dangerous) who will, undoubtedly appreciate such perfectly stated wisdom! :wink:

Thanks!

1 Like

Cool, wolfman, I was wondering how this part could be best be handled! :smile:

Perfect, thanks!

1 Like

Hi mated,

bear in mind what Luke (@lah7) said about glitches with a dev version, make sure that you use 3 partitions and if things do go wrong, your data is safe as long as you don’t format the home partition when doing a fresh install by following the “Something Else Method” guide!.

ALWAYS KEEP YOUR IMPORTANT DATA BACKED UP ON A DIFFERENT LOCATION LIKE A USB STICK OR EXTERNAL DRIVE!. :smiley:

1 Like