[17.04] Nm-applet works fine but shows 2 icons in the system tray

I have two (2) Network manager icons in the system tray. Anyone know how to get rid of one of them?
It’s not a drastic problem just a little annoyance. networking is working fine.

I’ve seen the same thing in my 17.04 VM.

what’s the output for:

ps axu | grep [n]m-applet

Best guess is, two instances of the applet are running at the same time.

Here’s the output of ps axu | grep [n]m-applet
2231 0.2 1.0 756896 37184 ? Sl 06:01 0:03 nm-applet
and I only see one instance in Processes list.

OK, it's weird, and I can confirm I've got the same thing in my VM:

It seems the icon on the right is "dead", nothing happens when I click on it.

I’ve got a fix coming. Currently tested a patched version of mate-panel and the problem is resolved. I’ll try to get this in the archive promptly.

3 Likes

Has been uploaded to the archive, currently awaiting approval.

Yes, it’s finally fixed. Turned out to be related to libappindicator support in nm-applet (only in Ubuntu, Debian doesn’t have that enabled). Actually, other apps with libappindicator support could be affected as well. If you’re interested in technical details, see the discussion at upstream report:

1 Like

Working fine now.

Thanks very much Wimpy and Monsta!

1 Like

I’m having the opposite problem now :astonished: i.e. I have not 2, not 1, but 0 nm-applets showing up :confused:

Specifically, my preferred setup is a single a vertical panel. Nm-applet shows up normally when I start with an existing panel layout in MATE Tweak and adjust the panel properties to get what I want, but if I restart or load the panel layout in MATE Tweak, no nm-applet appears. I’ve tried both with and without indicators checked in MATE Tweak.

Does it happen only with a vertical panel? Also are there any problems with other tray icons?

Yes, only with a vertical panel. The tray icons I should have are battery, sound, and nm, but nm does not show up.

If I start with an existing layout with the tray on a horizontal, e.g. Ubuntu MATE, I see all three tray icons. I can change the panel’s properties to left, and all icons still show up. But, when I save the layout in MATE Tweak (which looks like it reloads the panel), or log out and log back in, then nm disappears.

One time I was playing around with themes, and I noticed the nm icon appeared again, smaller than the other two icons, but it disappeared again after rebooting.

Edit: I just tried it again to double check, once starting with a panel layout with indicators disabled and once with indicators enabled. With indicators disabled, nm disappeared once I saved the layout. With indicators enabled, nm did not disappear when I saved the layout, but when I rebooted it is again missing.

I tried on another computer with more tray icons: bluetooth, keyboard, nm, sound and battery. In this case, when I changed the panel to vertical and then saved the layout, I again ended up with just sound and battery.

Should I submit a bug report on Github for MATE panel?

Sorry, got busy with other stuff, including my job… I’ll try to reproduce it. Not sure if mate-tweak is needed actually… you can just right-click any existing panel and set its position to left or right.

No problem! I appreciate your work. I suggested the bug in case it was a better place for a reminder for something you might not get to right away :wink:

You are correct, you don’t need mate-tweak. It is just a faster substitute for logging out and logging back in, because the issue doesn’t come up when you first move the panel, but when the panel is reloaded.

1 Like

Ok, it’s reproducible in my 17.04 VM… I’ve changed the position in panel prefs dialog and then used killall mate-panel to restart it, and nm-applet wasn’t there. Before restarting, the whole tray area wasn’t visible, I suspect it was somewhere below the screen - but it’s a VM, so I’m not surprised. :slight_smile:

Also making the left panel wider doesn’t help. Moving it back into bottom does… nm-applet reappears.

I’ll tell our developer, Colomban Wendling, about it. He’s the author of SNI support for tray area, and he also fixed the bugs there - so actually it’s him who should be thanked, not me :slight_smile:

Hmm, nm-applet is actually there, it’s just a thin invisible line instead of the icon. You can still right-click on it to show the menu.

That makes sense because I just noticed this morning that in some themes nm-applet does show up. I was trying arc-theme, and nm-applet is there, although it is more narrow than it should be.

Ok, it’s fixed upstream now:

Hope @Wimpy will make a patch soon.

1 Like

Landed in 17.04 archive today.

2 Likes