17.10 acting strangely after update to kernel 4.13.0-19 #22

Anyone notice anything strange since installing December updates?

I upgraded Lenovo X260 to latest kernel and now I’m having two new problems:

1. External HDMI monitor doesn’t work any more (on connect, it sounds a beep, but the notebook doesn’t detect 2 monitors).
    xrandr and Display show just 1 monitor. Even built-in LCD display is shown as “Unknown Monitor” whereas I think before it had a name.

2. LUKS password prompt doesn’t appear (I have to boot in recovery mode to see the prompt in text format). I disabled plymouth and I’ll reboot shortly to see if that makes it easier.

It may be that some other software that I installed messed things up; it’s been a week or two since I rebooted and I probably installed other packages from Ubuntu repos.

• 4.13.0-19-generic #22-Ubuntu SMP Mon Dec 4 11:58:07 UTC 2017 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
  • Intel Corporation HD Graphics 520 (rev 07) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])

Should be easy enough to check if it’s due to the kernel upgrade.
Hold escape or shift during boot, to get to the GRUB menu, select “Other options for Ubuntu” then start an older kernel. (not in recovery mode)

1 Like

Good point. I did that and it’s still the same. So it’s either a corrupt filesystem or package, or some other package(s) is/are causing the problem. I’m glad I was able to backup my data so at this point after few hours of troubleshooting I’m ready to re-install.