17.10 How do I change login screen background?

I can’t find where or how to change the login screen background in Ubuntu Mate 17.10. Every search I’ve done has either referenced LightDM, or mentioned that 17.10 uses slick greeter. I can’t find the files referenced in either case.

The /etc/lightdm/slick-greeter.conf needs to be created otherwise it does not exist.

There’s many ways to create it. Here’s one in terminal:

sudo touch /etc/lightdm/slick-greeter.conf

Now, you can go there in Caja and right click “Open as administrator” to edit it. Again, one of many ways to do this. Hope it helps.

2 Likes

This is the third thread about changing login screen background (that I have seen). I think it would be a good idea to include the settings app in UM 18.04. People are used to have the settings available for GTK Greeter. MATE edition of Linux Mint provides the settings app so it’s not only a Cinnamon app.

3 Likes

Does this actually work now though?
I remember discussing this with @Wimpy before release and the configuration file appeared to be ignored.

It sure does work and man slick-greeter finds the details. I’m using the first ISO release in a VM if that makes a difference.

I did create the file and it does seem to do the trick…it would be nice to have a gui way to adjust it, though!

1 Like

Try using lightdm-settings. It’s not in the Ubuntu repos that I know of, but the .deb is available here: https://www.ubuntuupdates.org/package/mint_main/sylvia/main/base/lightdm-settings.

1 Like

@Wimpy, flagging this for your attention because if it’s not already available it would be nice to have that feature in bionic, even if we have to bring it in through one of the snaps.

1 Like