17.10 Looking Nice So Far

Thanks to this post I decided to try the 17.10 64bit nightly in a VirtualBox VM. I like!

I must admit as we head to 18.04 LTS, 17.04 gave me concern. It just doesn’t “feel” stable, at least in a VM. Anyone know more? Lots of trying new things?

But this 17.10 nightly is just the opposite. Snappy, fast and “feels” good. Anyone care to speculate why? No unexpected bugs at all.

Since a lot of hard work probably went into it, I won’t mention my biggest GTK+3 disappointment (cough… dconf… cough… editor…).

Anyone agree or disagree?

I haven’t tried 17.10 yet, but 17.04 has been very stable for me, on real hardware at least. The only issue I had was the one with NetworkManager not reconnecting after suspend, but that was solved pretty early.

I agree about dconf editor. I believe it was already on GTK+ 3, but the version included in 17.04 (16.10?) and onward has the horrible new layout. It’s led me to use gsettings get ... and gsettings set ... a lot more than I used to!

1 Like

I’m aware how the VM is a different environment to compare but I still get 2 NetManager icons in 17.04. Haven’t made it a point to fix but I remember it being mentioned here.

16.10’s dconf-editor was the newer look but still had the navigating tree which disappeared in 17.04 and 17.10. That style of switch setting is absolutely horribly non-intuitive. Since we both are using gsettings you may have also noticed the tree-navigation “path” seems to mismatch the Schema on a regular basis now.

1 Like

FWIW, I only have seen that in live sessions. Without me doing anything, it’s gone away with the first reboot. This is on real hardware.

Bill, I just installed 17.10 32bit daily build in a VirtualBox VM, and I have to agree with your assessment, very snappy indeed. Looking forward to installing Alpha 2 on my spare machine.

1 Like

Yeah the double network icon stuff was a bug that’s been fixed by updates afaik, which means you should only see that once right after install or only during install if you choose to download updates as you’re installing.

1 Like

Whoever designed the new dconf-editor should not be allowed anywhere near UI development anymore.

6 Likes

Downloaded the nightly build and dd’ed it onto a usb stick this morning.

Sorry, but i am not impressed yet.

This xps13 comes with native 3200x1800 screen resolution, and i’m not even gonna reach for my reading glasses or magnifier during an install, if i can’t read the installer screens, i’m done right there.

Installs ought be done in such a way that nobody has to try to read 1-point type. No reason not to enforce something reasonably readable during the install, at least to the point where the user can set the screen to something readable.

jmo, i’d love to install 17.10 and find that the systemd issues have magically disappeared and i only have to see the grub screen once between power-up and login-screen, but i’ll only go just so far.

And don’t go getting all “you’re too picky!” at me, it takes picky people to push toward perfection, that’s one of the reasons the industry is going to hell in a handbasket, too many “naive civilian” users who’ll take whatever they’re handed.

1 Like

Nothing wrong about being picky.
I’m personally waiting for someone from canonical to wake the hell up and realize this bug is serious. You’d assume since it was first reported in 2012 something would have been done… But I guess as long as people with the correct keyboard layout aren’t affected, who cares what happens to the others?

1 Like

Canonical did a lot of good, but i think it was always profit-motivated, thus always at the mercy of a marketplace mostly full of people who didn’t (and largely still don’t) know good software from bad.

Look at the basics, corporate income = (customers * sales) - expenses. And the largest customer-base is Mr and Mrs Average, who are consumers rather than creators. They don’t know just how bad things are, they think what the advertisements tell them to think, that it’s the newest latest technology (even though it’s from the '60s and '70s with a few new i/o devices and faster and bigger everything). And if one of them figures out how to make the thing work, they’re all raving about how great it is because their flip-phone didn’t have it, way cool!

Heh, i’m ranting again innit; sorry. I’ve been unusually tied-up with non-computing “life” issues, if anyone remembers how “life” can mess up your critical-path charts and totally vaporize any ideas you might have had about “release dates” (if you’re dumb enough to publish those in the first place). But i am still scheming on how to set up a “foss” community that’s kind of like the foundation whoosits set up, the guy who started the whole open-source concept and who is now an object of some peoples’ (fake-news) derision, only with some goddamn economic muscle, enough so i could be assured that @wimpy for example was not at the mercy of Canonical which is at the mercy of a bunch of civilians who just want bezel-free smartphones. Sorry, end of rant. For now.

[note to moderators: if you don’t want me ranting, just delete my userid, and when i come back from that particular grave we can discuss the merits of end-user identifiability.] :innocent:

The same anomaly exist in Raspbian when changing the default password before setting keyboard locale.