18.04 beta battery warning (on a desktop)

I just installed 18.04 beta, and I have gotten numerous “battery level is critical” warnings when
there is no freaking battery to be critically low.

Do you have any wireless devices in use? Maybe it is detecting the devices battery status. I know Ubuntu-Mate will see both my Logitech keyboard & track Ball and report the battery condition. Otherwise, I don’t know why it would try to detect a non installed battery.

I’m actually using Ethernet; wireless doesn’t appear to be selectable. I do have a wireless mouse, and 16.04 reported its level just fine. The battery, BTW, is fresh.

You can open a terminal and enter the following command

upower -e

This will give you a output similar to the one below.

$ upower -e
/org/freedesktop/UPower/devices/line_power_AC
/org/freedesktop/UPower/devices/battery_BAT0
/org/freedesktop/UPower/devices/mouse_0108o053Do337Bx0707
/org/freedesktop/UPower/devices/DisplayDevice

From there you can find more information for each line in the output.

For example:

upower -i /org/freedesktop/UPower/devices/mouse_0108o053Do337Bx0707

Your wireless mouse might be misreporting. Mine reports 70% from the time a new battery is installed until the day it dies.

1 Like

Unaccountably today, ~30 hours uptime, and the battery applet suddenly disappeared. No more battery warning popups on every damn screen!

I am a little chary about rebooting…

Please submit a bug report on launchpad.

2 Likes

I already did; MW said he could not reproduce the error. I still do not at all know what caused it.

When 18.04 was released did you did a fresh install?

Oh yes, first the beta, and then the official release. Both versions had the battery warning bug.

Do you use a /home partition that you keep in all the installs?

You BET I do have a separate /home partition, on a separate disk.

Can you try unplugging the separate hdd with the /home partition and reinstall the os again on a single ssd/hdd?

Not really; I want my system that way, and it’s finally running perfectly, the way the best damn distro should.:smiley:

I don’t say to keep it that way. What i am trying to do is find the problem.

I did reboot, and the %^&% thing is back again, popping up a warning on any
screen every 10 minutes. I’m not comfortable changing my system so much.

Is there any way at all to remove an icon from the Notification area? This is getting very old, with a fake popup on any screen every 10 minutes.

Am I the only one with this bug?

THIS is new. I reinstalled (a case when the OS borked itself on sound), and the damn battery warning was, for the first time, and never before, showed itself on the installation screen.

WTF?