18.04 - mutiny issue with multi-screen

Firstly, huge congrats on the 18.04 release. For lack of better judgement, I upgraded to 18.04 from my 16.04 LTS version - and I don’t regret it! It’s working very nicely.

I’ve had a play with the new screen layouts, and I’ve surprised myself with how useful the mutiny layout is.

But there is a problem when I use three displays (which is connected to my laptop via a thinkpad dock).

If I set my primary display to be my central one (so that I don’t have to mouse really far to get to the menu for windows on the far right display), log out and log in, I find that maximising a window in the central primary display causes the window to maximise to the full screen, including behind the dock.

This isn’t a problem if I set the primary display to be the left-most screen. As long as log out and log in, the maximising exhibits normal behaviour (i.e. the screen maximises to the available space on that display, except for where the dock is).

Does anyone have any suggestions?

@dm319 - this is a known issue in mate-panel. For multi-screen setups, any panel that lies in the division between two monitors does not have struts (what pushes windows out of its way)

1 Like

Ah that makes sense. Fair enough!