[18.10] Keyboard shortcut(MOD4+e) + /usr/bin/caja = no-go?

Hello,

I have started giving/getting some love using the "Keyboard Shortcuts" feature from the "Control Center" and have designed short-cuts for launching my most favs/used applications.

Everything works well minus 1 application: caja.

I was wondering if anybody could help out or knew exactly why I am capable of configuring any custom app (such as /usr/bin/virtualbox) to be executed from keyboard shortcuts (MOD4+V in this example) but yet caja never opens when create a "Open caja" and apply, say, MOD4+e.

Thanks.

Hi @DLS, I'm able to use MOD4+e in my 18.10 VM ok. I even made a custom Caja shortcut, no problem either (I usually use Action: Home Folder). Command: caja /home so I know it's unique.

I remembered some modifier keys affected by HUD and Pull-Down Terminal, which I turn off religiously, so turned them on and the Caja shortcut still works fine. I don't know but I bet something like that is interfering.

Niiiiice, thanks for your pair of eyes Bill!

So the solution for my original problem is/was that if one wishes to invoke caja using a keyboard shortcut, that person needs to be aware to set the command as either "caja /somepath" or "/usr/bin/caja /somepath".

If the entry is only set as "/usr/bin/caja" then this keyboard shortcut will simply not work.

Cheers!

PS: Not sure if relevant to ask here but if keyboard shortcuts from control center could inherit a search/filter feature it surely would be nice.

I'll be darned - adding a path makes it work! This was just a dumb coincidence I never intended. I see something is wrong with '~' working so this may be a clue to the root cause.

I never saw this because I always make Caja shortcuts to various paths but use "Home Folder" action for a main Caja shortcut.

You are still a leader and without you I would had possibly had raged some more about this so I say -1 @ dumb coincidence and +1 @ you fixing it.

(Yes, take the credit, you deserve it :))

Thanks again for your precious help even tho you might think that you did not do that much.

Thanks for making a stumble into a dance. :slight_smile:

I just checked 16.04 and it has exactly the same problem so it's been there awhile.