[20.04] Icon right side top panel and Default e-mail client

Hi erveryone, i'm really happy to have joined the Ubuntu Mate community. I've been a Mate user since ver. 16.04 and i'm very impressed about the useability and I do all my work with this OS. Now, I use ver. 20.04 and I have some (new) issues and questions.

I use the Sayonara music player and when I start the program don't show the right icon on right upper top bar (Picture 1).

In the deafult application settings, I can not change the player to Syonara, the entry just doesn't exist. I think, thats the reason that I can't use my media keys on the keyboard (forward title, start/stop, backward title) (Picture 2). The Keyboard shortcuts are set up already.
Bildschirmfoto_2

This leads me directly to the next problem. I also can not change the default E- Mail Client (it's greyed out) and I also can't start it with my keybaord shortcut (Picture 3).
Bildschirmfoto_3

Thanks in advance for your help.

Hi :slight_smile:

About email setting, do you have Evolution or Thunderbird installed ? Can you start it for the first time if it's not done ?

About your keyboard shortcut i'm advising you to check if xinput is able to receive them using :

xinput test <your keyboard id>

like this :

┌─[✗]─[olek@apbook04u]─[~]
└──╼ $xinput list
⎡ Virtual core pointer                    	id=2	[master pointer  (3)]
⎜   ↳ HAILUCK CO.,LTD Lenovo HID Device Touchpad	id=14	[slave  pointer  (2)]
⎣ Virtual core keyboard                   	id=3	[master keyboard (2)]
    ↳ Virtual core XTEST keyboard             	id=5	[slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Power Button                            	id=6	[slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ HAILUCK CO.,LTD Lenovo HID Device       	id=9 ( try to find your keyboard id, mine is 9 ) [slave  keyboard (3)]
┌─[olek@apbook04u]─[~]
└──╼ $xinput test 9
key release 36 
key press   39 
skey release 39 
key press   39 
skey release 39

and next press some of this extra keys

Hi olek,

it's the default Evolution installation that comes with Mate 20.04 and it is running and working. It brings also a notification when a new mail arrived.

As I wrote, the shortcuts setting are done.

Tried xinput but it doesn't show output for the special keys. Tried out with showkey it gave the followed:
0xe0 0x10
0xe0 0x90 for backward key

0xe0 0x22
0xe0 0xa2 for start/stop key

0xe0 0x19
0xe0 0x99 forward key

It's a Cherry DW5100 Keyboard, thats worked fine in 18.04.

From what i remember, the list of applications is populated thanks to that file :

/usr/share/applications/defaults.list

and application you have as default is reported to :

~/.config/mimeapps.list

Can you try locate entry for messages ?

cat /usr/share/applications/defaults.list | grep message

and :

cat ~/.config/mimeapps.list | grep message

You should find something similar to to have it as default :

┌─[olek@apbook04u]─[~]
└──╼ $cat ~/.config/mimeapps.list | grep message
message/rfc822=org.gnome.Evolution.desktop

I would add this line inside /usr/share/applications/defaults.list if not existing :

text/calendar=org.gnome.Evolution.desktop

How did you installed Syonara ? deb ? repo ?
As your icon looks broken and if you installed from .deb maybe you need to install some missing software :

sudo apt-get update --fix-missing
sudo apt-get install -f

The line text/calendar=org.gnome.Evolution.desktop inside /usr/share/applications/defaults.list exist.

I used snap for the first time. Maybe installation, like I did it with 18.04, from deb is the better choice for the next time.

I will take a look on this mimeapps.list.

Thanks a lot.

I would try to put this :

message/rfc822=org.gnome.Evolution.desktop

inside

~/.config/mimeapps.list Logout, login, and next try click on a mailto link.

You can do the same with Syonara :

Replace those with the syonara.desktop (exact name can be found here /usr/share/applications/) :

audio/mpeg=rhythmbox.desktop
audio/x-mpegurl=rhythmbox.desktop
audio/x-scpls=rhythmbox.desktop
audio/x-vorbis+ogg=rhythmbox.desktop
audio/x-wav=rhythmbox.desktop

Good luck there :slight_smile:

No, no changes. Can you do me a favor? If you also use 20.04, can you tell me if default mail setting it's grayed out for you too or not?
Bildschirmfoto_3
Thanks!

Sure, I'm running 20.04 UM fresh build and it look there :

Did you logout / login again ?

Do you have this file at this location ?

Do this file have this content ?

MimeType=text/calendar;text/x-vcard;text/directory;application/mbox;message/rfc822;x-scheme-handler/mailto;x-scheme-handler/webcal;x-scheme-handler/calendar;x-scheme-handler/task;x-scheme-handler/memo;

Yes, logout / login and a couple of reboots. I will do a new 20.04 install. It's not a big deal for me and then check again mail settings, shortcuts and a new install of Sayonara.

1 Like

Keep us updated :slight_smile:

After trying to fix the problems a short update:
The new installation of 20.04 is completed and Evolution and the shortcuts now working.

Bildschirmfoto zu 2020-06-07 12-11-35

The same for the media player. I install Sayonara via Deb and now the shortcuts and symbol also works.

1 Like

Perfect :slight_smile:
Something got wrong ...
Once you start having issues with a fresh install config, a rebuild is a good option :slight_smile:
Thanks for the update and good luck :slight_smile: