20.04 not booting on rPi b+

New to MATE. I'm looking to use a Raspberry Pi 3+ as the CPU for an Owncloud installation.

I burned the latest image with the Raspberry Pi imager. It never gets to the GUI, throws some errors about the GPIO. I overwrote that with the 20.10 installer to see if that was better.

20.10 gets to the GUI, but frequently pops up "report system error" windows. This does not give me much confidence to move forward with the Owncloud install on the MATE 20.10 image.

Any clues?

I just rolled back to 20.04, and here's the messages I'm getting on the console:

/usr/bin/ubiquity-dm:8: DeprecationWarning: the imp module is depreciated in favour of importlib: see the module's documentation for alternative users
(that message repeated 4 times)
ERROR: The OEM installer failed. Your system may not be usable yet. Please report this bug to your vendor.

then it suggests that I create a user, but it doesn't respond to the keyboard.

which images are you using - i recommend the 32-bit for RPi3B+?
Derek

This issue is reported more than once on this forum. I get the same issue with the fresh 20.04 armhf image. The only solution I got is flash a 18.04 image and upgrade to the next LTS version. Flashing a 20.04 image ends the way you describe it.

I was using the 32-bit. Assumed there is no benefit for going 64bit with the rPi 3+. Didn't dig enough to figure out which one is preferred for the 3+

Me too. pi 3B. Waiting for a long time, it let me choose language, but keyboard and mouse (logi) do not work. they work well on pi os.
Where could you download the ubuntu16 or 18 for pi 3B?

I change it to 20.10 , then it boot well.

The Ubuntu16 or 18 for RPi 3B exists only in the Server version for ARM64. You can find it in the "previous releases" section on the Ubuntu server. However, I wouldn't recomend you installing the ARM64 version, as it never worked well on my 3B/3B+. Instead try Lubuntu armhf 16.04 or Ubuntu Mate armhf 16.04/18.04 (and upgrading it to 20.04).