[20.04] Tutanota integration

Now that we've all agreed that www.tutanota.com is the best email vendor let's talk about properly integrating it over into UM.

At the time of writting this there only exists a desktop application @ https://tutanota.com/blog/posts/desktop-clients/ but let's be frank: integration sucks.

And by 'sucks' I mean either those 2 things: 1. shortcuts from Brisk menu dissapear for no reason/randomly and 2. it is not possible to install via neither apt nor snap.

So what do we do? What's the next step for having TutaNota properly integrating in the Ubuntu MATE echo system because, really, I think both need each others in the medium to long term.

Best,

1 Like

I don't know of way to correctly integrate tutanota in linux desktop. It's a pity because it's a really interesting privacy-oriented mail solution. The lack of desktop integration made me choose ProtonMail instead of Tutanota and i am satisfied with it. But i keep my Tutanota mail account active in case of a future solution...

The problem with protonmail is that nobody knows who's really behind it.

That being said, tutanota integration has been working good ever since they launched their app last year. It's just that application persistence is shaky, either caused after the application self updates, sometimes after some rebooting or because (just maybe) their standalone binary is missing something from a Linux desktop perspective. I think.

At the end of the day however, it's always possible to relaunch the binary from terminal and it will always work out. It's just that brisk integration gets lost before long.

The problem with protonmail is that nobody knows who's really behind

Maybe not the place to start a debate about ProtonMail but the "about" page on their website seems clear about their team and their funding : https://protonmail.com/about

ProtonMail is supported by more than 10,000 individuals from around the world who participated in our record-breaking crowdfunding campaign. Additional backers include Charles River Ventures and the Fondation Genevoise pour l'Innovation Technologique (FONGIT), a non-profit foundation financed by the Swiss Federal Commission for Technology and Innovation for the public good. We are also advised by the MIT Venture Mentoring Service.

1 Like

"Funny" how this took several iterations of their website to actually get posted on it as it clearly wasn't there "before"

But you're right: here is not the place to debate about that: TutaNota is clearly the end-goal choice :wink:

All joking aside, thanks for contributing to this thread.

1 Like