22.04.: Weird panel invisibility bug

I'm using Ubuntu Mate 22.04. Sometimes, usually when I'm already doing something resource-intensive, such as converting a video, and then I try to do something else that's also resource-intensive, suddenly, the two panels that I have (top and bottom) become invisible and I can't get them back in any way. They don disappear, that is, I can still click on elements of them and get them to work that way; they just become invisible, that is, instead of the panels, I just see the topmost and bottommost parts of my wallpaper.

The bug disappears when I reboot, but I don't like to do that in the middle of, for instance, converting a video. Also, the usual shutdown or reboot menu doesn't work in that state; in order to reboot then, I have to open a terminal and type reboot.

Since this usually happens when I'm trying to do two resource-intensive things at the same time, I could, of course, simply not do two resource-intensive things at the same time. But that kind of reminds me of the old groaner of a joke where someone goes to the doctor and says "It hurts really badly when I press here", and the doctor says "Then I wouldn't press there".

I've once managed it to take a screenshot when that bug appeared. Blacked-out areas were blacked out for privacy reasons:

I have exaclty the same issue and only happens with 22.04. You are not alone.
If would be great if someone could fix this. I do not want to fully migrate to 22.04 unitl this gets fixed.

1 Like

One more comment, if you right click on the top invisible panel and then you chose the option to reset the panels, then the panels go from being invisible but still present to being totally gone!

I did a clean install of 22.04 and had no issues. Perhaps not a bug but an issue with your install/settings. What kind of video card do you have? Which compositor are you using? Did you do the iso tests ( sha256 checksum) to make sure your download was not corrupted?

Welcome @julian1 to the community!

Hi

The video card is
NVIDIA Corporation TU117 [GeForce GTX 1650]

and yes, I did checksum the installation binary before proceeding.
The same hardware run without issues for years with 20.04.

Kind regards,
Julian

By the way, this is not an issue that is easy to reproduce. It is intermitent with no clear pattern. My system can run for several weeks without this problem showing up.

Should I try a proprietary driver?