32bit Wine on 22.04 without appimage possible

Installing 32 bit wine causes crash of the system. 64 bit wine works

So i did use a wine 32 bit appimage that works. Is this the only solution aside a chroot?

Reproducible details are needed.

I have just run below commands

sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install wine32
mkdir ~/wine32
WINEPREFIX=~/wine32 WINEARCH=win32 winecfg

on fresh Ubuntu MATE 22.04 LTS amd64 - both x11docker and QEMU/KVM-based VM ran without issues.

1 Like

I couldn' t reproduce an error file but:

sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install libc6:i386

Breaks already the system.
Maybe its cause i was just running it on a livecd.
Have tobtest if "patching"-/reconpressing the squashfs image with some i386 deb librarys fixes this issue.

I'm using latest Ubuntu-MATE 22.04 LTS "Jammy Jellyfish" - Daily amd64 (20220404) build.

I can't reproduce this. It complains about missed binary-i386 in cdrom, then installs Wine and runs it normally.
Details with exact steps to reproduce and screenshots (or better - terminal output) are needed.

Why do you need 32-bit libraries and Wine on live media?

2 Likes

Ok. I am glad to hear that this issue most likely won't be in the final release. Thanks for testing it on your own hardware.

I just had to type in the install command for libc6:i386. Apt runs normal but then systemd restarts and after 2 minutes at most X Server closes dalljng abck to tty. 5 minutes later the x cursor is runinng again and then the system shut downs. Really weird.

Do have a ryzen 3 1200 and a nvidea gt 1030 graphic card.Nouveau driver. 16gb ddr4 Ram. Ssd has almost no space left.

And yeah i want to test it fully as alive dvd on the real thing since performance on virtualbox isn' t that great.Don't know why.

Some tools are just running on 32 bit wine or windows xp. Cant run them on wine64. Wine32 appimage is runnjng fine but on a ssd installed system i won't want to use an appimage for wine.

Because Virtualbox basically has no access to the GPU, i.e. everything has to be rendered in software via the CPU instead.