A suggestion | How to powerup ubuntu-mate irc support

Hi
Ubuntu mate is the first distro ever that made me use linux without even once turning to windows in last 1,5 month. Thank you UM team.

Since all people who get stuck on a simple problem they use irc chat

• It is easy accessible (hexchat preinstalled)
  • It is a more interesting way to get help than to google it (I prefer more to ask people than to google :P)
  • Keeps the community together

On one thing we all can agree that the #ubuntu channel is the most “populated” and there is always something going on. On the other side you have UM channel which is VERY useful and helpful but not as nearly populated.

So to keep people on and to motivate other people to help I was thinking that the chat needs to have a bot. A simple bot where if I say eg. “Thank you User1 for helping me” the bot would notice the “thank you” and the registered username User1 (in this case) and give him 1 cookie. And everytime he would do something good he would get the cookie and it would show like.

User1 got a cookie for helping others. Now he have 362 cookies.

You can also add like ranks etc you get the point.

So let me know what do you think about this idea?

hexchat and pidgin are being removed in Ubuntu MATE 16.10 due to lack of interest from users to keep these utilities.

Not that I necessarily agree with this decision, being a Pidgin user but I can easily reinstall Pidgin anyway, and the “Chat” button in welcome will open a Firefox page using a pre-defined URL. (I really wish it was an irc protocol address but Freenode [what Ubuntu’s IRC server directs to and #ubuntu-mate uses] has a blanket ban on all addresses coming from Mibbit.)