About AMD Drivers?

Will it be possible for me to do a clean install of Ubuntu MATE 16.04 when it is stabilized in a couple of weeks on AMD or NVIDIA graphics.

NVIDIA won’t be a problem. For AMD only the open source drivers are available. Fglrx isn’t available for 16.04.

But will my computer still be capable of running compiz, compiz-reloaded (compiz 0.8) or KWIN

I do not know, don’t own and AMD Graphics card

AMD - Highly depends on how well your card runs with the open source drivers. In my experience, on board AMD graphics worked much better with open source drivers in 15.10 then fglrx, which actually made the graphics performance a lot worst. :open_mouth:

fglrx is impossible to install because of its incompatibility with newer versions of X.org.

NVIDIA - Their proprietary drivers are excellent IMO, never had a problem with them with GTX cards. :thumbsup:

I’d suggest trying 16.04 in a live session to test run first. Or, you could hold off until summer where AMD are apparently releasing a new driver.

2 Likes

The Intel GPU on my mini notebook (Packard Bell Limited Edition) works well too!. :smiley:

I just ran into this article. How does it fit into the discussion of AMD graphics drivers?

I seem to remember that using some proprietary driver was problematic. My HP system has 16.04 installed in a test partition with whatever driver the installer choose which was …

Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Caicos [Radeon HD 6450/7450/8450 / R5 230 OEM] (prog-if 00 [VGA controller]

Another factor that is related is OpenGL…

OpenGL Renderer Gallium 0.4 on AMD CAICOS (DRM 2.43.0, LLVM 3.8.0)

I’ve not had any issues with my display!

The above info was obtained from a nice utility named hardinfo

@jrioux That article is about the open source drivers, fglrx was and is proprietary. fglrx is not available for the version of X that 16.04 uses and it will, as far as I know, not be updated

2 Likes

Actually, I was wondering whether this updated driver (AMDGPU 1.0.1 aka xf86-video-amdgpu 1.0.1) (a) was compatible with Ubuntu MATE 16.04 and (b) would improve graphics performance for AMD chips under Ubuntu MATE 16.04.

It seems like Canonical has always done stuff like this.

OTOH - I am impressed with Canonical in that 16.04 runs on my 2 systems OOTB

I say this one is on AMD.

2 Likes