Accidentally deleted all startup applets

Hello all,

I have mate 17.10 installed. Some days ago I accidentally deleted all the startups applets. Now I need the nm-applet and Blueman applet. Is it possible to get them back.

Thanks

Hi Ritesh_Rijal,

right click the top panel and "Add to Panel", select "Indicator Applet Complete" and add it, delete the old one:

:smiley:

1 Like

Hi wolfman,

I had already tried. I even tried switching the panel layout. With the panel layout switch the indicators appears just for the session. After reboot or re-login the indicators will be gone.
I had deleted the blueman-applet as well as the nm-applet from the start-up as well. Has this something to do.

Hi @Ritesh_Rijal, I just learned something… and deleted my first post because it was probably useless. Here goes…

In your home directory, navigate to .config/autostart
That’s ~/.config/autostart and you can do this in Caja by showing hidden files and directories.

Are the applets there as desktop files? I’m betting they are. Like blueman.desktop.

It turns out when you delete an entry in Startup Applications a copy is placed here with a “hidden” line added inside.

Believe it or not, deleting blueman.desktop from ~/.config/autostart may unhide it. Restart Startup Applications and it should now appear as its default setting.

It turns out the master copies of these exist in /etc/xdg/startup and they are overridden by the copies in ~/.config/autostart. Strange but true.

Does it work?

1 Like

Hi Ritesh_Rijal,

have you tried resetting the panel via the terminal? (Ctrl + Alt + t):

mate-panel --reset

:smiley:

I copied all the applets from my second laptop to the ~/.config/autostart and /etc/xdg/autostart and it is solved :slight_smile: .

1 Like

God damn I was worried I had to do something complete unnecessary to get back my applets. Thanks Wolfman :+1:

1 Like

Hi @Bill_MI and everyone

I joined the ubuntu-mate.community forum
to thank you for this post.

DELETING the files in ~/.config/autostart folder gave me the original menu back.
That solved one of two problems.
The second one is that I would like to replace the present menu screen : http://rogergravel.com/images/image-actuelle.png

(sorry I was not able to upload two items)
with this one :
image voulue

Would anyone know ?
Thank you.

Hi Wolfman,

In my case adding "Indicator Applet Complete" shows ’ No Indicators’ in the Top Panel.

What I want is my old MENU and I will be trying
Ritesh_Rijal’s solution by copying
gnome-software-service.desktop from
/etc/xdg/autostart
into
/etc/xdg/autostart.

Roger
P.s. I feel it is unpleasant to have to go to a terminal and type to restart.

Hi @Roger_Gravel,

I hope you have it sorted now?. :laughing:

Yes,
I reinstalled Ulyssa.

1 Like