Add a Column View to Caja

One thing that I liked while playing around with mac os was the Finder (mac's file manager) column view. For those that haven't seen it, it looks like this:

As you open a folder, a column with the contents appears on the right and goes on til you have no folders to open. :grin:

Anyway, it would be cool if Caja would have an option to view it like that.

1 Like

There is a command line file manager, called Ranger, that uses this layout. Check it out, you might like it.

1 Like

Been trying this ranger file manager, and its great! I usually put it on Tilda to quick check some stuff.

Also, I saw that someone already ask for this on the caja github page:

Seems that style is called Miller Columns. Learned something today.:slight_smile:

Hello,

I’m also fan of Miller Columns since NeXT Step, Rhapsody then MacOS-ten.

To wait an hypothetical add-in caja, you can install pantheon-file FM to bring this browsing ability to Ubuntu Mate.
You can find the procedure do it properly at noobslab

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:elementary-os/daily
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install pantheon-files 
sudo add-apt-repository -r ppa:elementary-os/daily

I’m not happy of the single click to browse and open, which prone me to errors often, but it is the best GUI Linux implementation I found so far.

1 Like

Thanks for the recommendation. :slight_smile:

This will have to do for the GUI side until(if) Caja gets miller columns in.

Here is not a perfect solution, but that limit errors, all actions to open folders and files are dbl-click.
On OSX it is more logic with single click to browse and dbl-click to open. I will perhaps open a demand to pantheon team.

gsettings set org.pantheon.files.preferences single-click false

Hallo

I like Caja the way it is. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m no programmer but I think adding this useful feature won’t ruin anyone’s experience.

edit: sorry to bump. oops.