Add Grub/Splash screen to MATE 20.04

The only thing I can suggest is you install from fresh and see if it works. If it does, report a bug with the upgrade process. It's not a show stopper so I don't think it will be triaged as a high priority but still worth doing.

I would try to avoid a fresh install, since I have everything all set and how I want it to. It takes a while backing up, reinstalling the OS, hunting down & reinstalling everything, and customizing everything back to it was

I backed up whatever I needed to and did a fresh install. I wish I could flash 20.04 directly, but I can't because whenever I do a fresh flash and boot for the first time, I always end up at this screen forever. So I am forced to install 18.04 then update all packages, then upgrade. I wish I could just install MATE 20.04 as-is with no problems on my Pi 3B, but that will never be the case. I'd like to use a normal Ubuntu desktop, but can't with 1GB of RAM.

^ It's always stuck at this after a fresh install of MATE 20.04.5.

Where do you get your download ? The Ubuntu mate website has 20.04.1

Have you typed

adduser yourname

then

exit

Yeah, but this is what happens if I flash 20.04.1 directly. So if I want it to work, I have to flash 18.04 then update EVERYTHING then upgrade to 20.04, which is a pain to set up.

I got 20.04.1 here, and the archived versions here as well.

OK. Well, I am stumped. Maybe someone with Pi experience will be able to help.

All I can advise is move on and just boot without a splash.

That's unfortunate. Maybe I can ask people on raspberrypi.org for assistance.
If there were a karma system here, I would thehatterman++ like crazy for your help :slight_smile: