Advanced File Managment

Is there a advanced file manager or program that will give you advanced features like scan your entire system for duplicate files and show if they are exactly the same or if one is older or newer or has a different file size and allow you to delete the duplicate files with options like delete only the older file or smaller file etc etc.

Also a file manager or program that will allow you to copy or move files from one directory or drive to another and have the option that if the same file exists on the target location to either only copy the source file to the target if the source file is newer or over write the target file if the source is older or copy both and rename the older file as something like xxxxxxxx(older).xxx ?

Hi

Is there a advanced file manager or program that will give you advanced features like scan your entire system for duplicate files and show if they are exactly the same or if one is older or newer or has a different file size and allow you to delete the duplicate files with options like delete only the older file or smaller file etc etc.

FSlint is a utility with a GUI that can do that. sudo apt install -y fslint.
fdupes, available as well in the Ubuntu repos is the way to go if you prefer command line tools.

Also a file manager or program that will allow you to copy or move files from one directory or drive to another and have the option that if the same file exists on the target location to either only copy the source file to the target if the source file is newer or over write the target file if the source is older or copy both and rename the older file as something like xxxxxxxx(older).xxx ?

rsync is a powerful tool that can do this and is already in Ubuntu Mate if I remember correctly.
man rsync to check how it works.
rsync --update -raz --progress /source/ /dest/ will for example copy the content from /source/ to /dest/, skip the existing files, copy the new files and update only those who have been updated.

In order to simplify the process you can create aliases in your ~/.bashrc file to avoid typing lengthy commands like that.
For instance, with alias backupdir='rsync --update -raz --progress ~/Documents/ /mnt/drive2/Documents/ && rsync --update -raz --progress ~/Documents/ /mnt/drive3/Documents/', typing backupdir in a terminal Window would achieve the process of upgrading your ~/Documents/ folder on two backup drives.

NB: In order for changes to the ~/.bashrc file to take effect, you have to type source ~/.bashrc in a terminal.

Is there a GUI type of program like rsync? I want a easy way to copy and move files from one folder, drive or partition and a command line interface is too complex and not user friendly or easy to use or understand.

There is Grsync available in the repositories. It allows you the option of making a trial run on each command to see if you've got the correct specs on your destination. I use it quite a bit.

3 Likes

Cool, just installed it and I'll check it out, Thanks :+1: