Ambiant-MATE Dark theme

Here is a glimpse of the new Ambiant-MATE Dark theme that will debut in Ubuntu MATE 17.04

13 Likes

Nice Theme!

Will be there a backport to UM 16.04?

Thanks Atreju

1 Like

I’ve been using it since it was added and it’s very good. Some of the text in light colored menu boxes in firefox can still be a bit difficult to see but nowhere near as badly as it was in BlackMATE. It’s great to have a dark theme that parallels the default Ambiant look. Awesome job!

Edit: I’ve also noticed the text cursor when creating/renaming files and folders in caja is virtually invisible.

No, this won’t be back ported.

1 Like

Where is the archive -repo for Ambiant-MATE Dark theme ?

and cheers for the right stuff.

1 Like

This is where the development happens - https://github.com/flexiondotorg/ubuntu-mate-themes

From the perspective of someone with a visual impairment, I wanted to send you a huge thanks for adding this theme. It’s close to perfect in terms of depth of contrast and darkness levels. Keep up the great work!

2 Likes

Well that is fantastic to hear and an unexpected bonus. I didn’t think such a dark theme would have that application. Great to hear it works for you :slight_smile:

In terms of accessibility, dark themes are pretty much essential for some types of visual impairment, more so the ability to choose and customise palettes. If a theme’s done well, like this one, there’s no need to do so. I moved away from Windows for my workflow after the fiasco of Windows 8 because of that, and while they’re improving, they have a lot to learn from Linux desktop-environments. (Blazing white backgrounds with pastel shades aren’t functional for many people who’re visually impaired, but at the same time high-contrast doesn’t always need to be black and white.)

Mate (and to a lesser extent Plasma) have been my go-to platforms for a while now, - your work is appreciated by many in my situation I’m sure, and we’ll continue to donate to support tools that help us be more functional. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Anyone know of fix for gray text in search box under Firefox, fine on Chrome?

That’s really unfortunate. I really wish I could use this theme on my primary machine (which has to run LTS).

1 Like

I do not run 17.04 yet but in 16.04 there are some problems as always with dark themes.

Till Ubuntu tried to force me one day to use Unity I used to install Ubuntu Satanic Edition Themes. I do not know if they work under MATE but they were almost perfectly debugged. It is really a pity that that project died.