AMD/ATI owners read this before upgrading to 16.04

Great, so do I!

I’m not a total geek, but I interpreted the warnings as applying mostly to gamers and people who do lots of graphics. Was this correct?

Yea! Did the upgrade & the bad config file/open source drivers have been replaced. No more booting into 1400x1050 & no HTMI audio problems. Thank you Wimpy & the UM gang! :smiley:

Now if only one could get rid of Compiz without losing the ubuntu-mate-desktop package. :wink:

The desktop package is a meta-package and synaptic says..

Why are you removing compiz?

I’m not a gamer, but I use Windows 7 for all my photo editing and I have the native driver from AMD for Windows and use the open source in UM 16 and have no problems.

I know, but I thought removing the meta package would mess up updating everything that depends on it, like Libre Office and other packages that depend on that metapackage.

As for Compiz, I don’t use it, if I want Wobbly Windows, a couple of Buds will have the same effect. :wink:

Actually, Compiz doesn’t seem to want to play nice with my 10 year old AMD/ATI video card & even though Compiz probably doesn’t take up all that much space, every little bit helps. :slight_smile:

Whoops, meant this as a reply to v3xx.

1 Like

It is technically just fine to remove a meta-package, if required, and this shouldn’t necessarily cause any problems. However, it is strongly recommended that you reinstall that package if you decide to manually upgrade to another version of Ubuntu. The package manager requires those packages to be installed for it to successfully perform the upgrade.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CommonQuestions#Meta-packages:_ubuntu-desktop

I think it necessary for a point release or version upgrade to have the meta-pack installed.

Okay, got it. Figured I’d better leave it in else the upgrade to 16.04 would have been interesting. Guess I’ll leave it alone then. Have to admit I like Marco with Compton better than the software option. :wink:

1 Like

Even when downgrading on 15.10 might work, I’d not like to give up 16.04 features.
So, how to speed up AMD’s efforts a bit?

eMail them?. :smiley:

wolfman< 1m
eMail them?. :smiley:

Allready wrote support, but I fear they won’t listen single email.
Probably they just aren’t acknowledging the problem, because of lacking clear numbers of disappointed customers.
Well, at least I guess the only thing I could do personally is to buy my next computer without AMD stuff.

My recent personal experience with graphics cards seems to be different to other people - 16.04 has made my card work!

Several months ago I upgraded my gfx card to a radeon R9 380 because I wanted to play Fallout 4.

After installing the new card I had serious troubles with UM, even live disks wouldn’t work properly.

This affected all the Ubuntus, so I moved to Manjaro for a few months.

A couple of weeks ago, I tried UM 16.04 beta, and now it’s goodbye manjaro, welcome back UM!

I haven’t tried any 3D gaming in UM - that’s the only reason why I keep a windows partition on my drive.

In a way, I can kind of understand ubuntu’s not really being able to offer support on drivers AMD is dumping, but why couldn’t they have just left the proprietary drivers they did have in the repositories and simply left a note in the descriptions saying something like “These drivers are the last known working ones, and there will not be any updates available for these anymore. Use at your own risk”.

Would have been better than nothing.

1 Like

I upgraded to 16.04 overnight. I got a “Crash report” that said “problem installing
fglrx-updates-core 2:15.201…” When I pressed the button the report it, I got back “The problem cannot be reported An error occurred while attempting to process this problem report…”

The computer seems to run okay, though. Oh, well.

This sounds like Apport

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Apport

The files are located in /var/crash/

If it happens again it can be a false report that you receive, Apport at times will hang up on an old crash file. Removing those files will reset apport.

The old drivers won’t work because the graphics Application Binary Interface (ABI)
was changed from version 19 to 20.

module ABI major version (19) doesn't match the server's version (20)
Failed to load module "xxxxx" (module requirement mismatch, 0)
1 Like

Thanks, hopefully it won’t happen again. :penguin:

There’s always someone squashing good ideas! :wink:

Well, it was just an idea, :wink:

As an AMD user, I contemplated long and hard about upgrading from 15.10 to 16.04 and losing fglrx but when the big day came yesterday I just couldn’t hold out and took the plunge. I also received the fglrx-updates-core error on first boot but haven’t had it since. As expected, Steam would not launch on the open source driver but a command workaround fixed that. Once that was addressed, I jumped into a game that I was in the middle of prior to upgrading and surprisingly all was well. It did seem the framerate may have dropped a little so I reduced a few settings and went on playing for a few minutes. Further testing will be needed as I was short on time and wanted to explore all the new goodies in the OS. The video card is a R9 270 (GCN 1.0) so I expect I’ll be on the open source driver for a bit but it’s nice to know that gaming still appears possible while also having the benefits that 16.04 brings. Hope my fellow UM/AMD users have good luck as well.

The next time I booted up, there was no crash report! :ok_hand:

Apologies for raising on old post. But has this been sorted at all?
I’ve had no system updates for a few months and obviously concerned something may have broken.