Analog Clock for Desktop

Hello, I just transitioned to Ubuntu MATE from Windows, so I beg your patience with me! I am looking for an easy to install transparent analog clock that I can add to my desktop. Is there any such app available? If not could someone tell me how to install one via the terminal? Many Thanks!

1 Like

Welcome @jbsavitske to the community!

Thank you for the Welcome! You are most kind to acknowledge me! I am happy that there is a support community as I venture into the freedom of this OS.

1 Like

xclock is not transparent but I like it.

1 Like

Thanks Pavlos! I've looked at it but would really like something subtle that blends in with the desktop image background. It's been hard to find one that has that look. Would welcome any other recommendations.

James

1 Like

Hi James,

Have you tried tzclock ? (it does transparency)
It is mentioned here: Best Free Clocks for Linux
and this is the homepage: The Knight

Download the debian version of both library and app ( because the ubuntu version is incomplete)

1. https://theknight.co.uk/releases/Debian_11/amd64/libdial_2.2-1_amd64.deb
  2. https://theknight.co.uk/releases/Debian_11/amd64/tzclock_4.3-1_amd64.deb

Install libdial_2.2-1_amd64.deb first
then install tzclock_4.3-1_amd64.deb

3 Likes

Dear tkn,

Thanks so much! I had considered TZClock but your instructions made it very easy to install. 2 additional questions if I mighr impose upon you.

1. Do you know of a way to "hide", "Remove" or blend in the Outer Circle of the clock? I am trying to get the clock to look like the numbers/quarter marks are floating without the outer border?
  2. I could not find an option to make the "color" of the clock face "transparent", with only the Hour hand, Minute hand, Second hand, and numbers/quarter marks, able to be seen?

Appreciate your input and guidance!

Cordially,

James

1 Like

Hi James,

Not that I could discover.
I tried that as well, but except for a limited overall transparency I could not select a fully transparent clock face with opaque numbers and hands.

1 Like

Thanks! I tweaked it to an acceptable look that I can live with. No perfect but still good!

Appreciate the directions you provided. They were flawlwss!

Cheers!

JBS

1 Like

This helped me, too. Just installed TZClock on Linux Mint Cinnammon 21.1 using these instructions. Thanks! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Welcome @snowfinch to the community!