Anyone trying Ubuntu Mate 16.04?

I installed UM 16.04 daily build 64 bit version on my test partition today and can say that it runs well with no real problems thus far. :smiley:

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-mate/daily-live/current/

I cannot get Google Earth to install due to dependency problems but I can work on that, otherwise, all is well and even “my-weather” starts as it should on this rig (Nvidia 1GB RAM GT 430 GPU, AMD Athlon II X3 CPU with 4GB RAM) which it doesn’t on UM15.10 on the same PC!.

Anyone else trying it out?. :smiley:

Hi wolfman

Been running 16o4 since it came out.

Started by changing my sources list using the sed command (before the iso came out) and had trouble from the start. Ran for a month like that and finally threw in the towel. Started fresh over with the iso and not seeing near as much trouble. Using it full time and have vBox running on it.

1 Like

Hi @anon42388993,

I am going to install it on my laptop too and see if it runs as well!. :wink:

Been running it for a few days from USB stick…I update with the daily build just to see what might be new…some of the themes are not there yet but as far as stability I haven’t seen any issues yet…

I haven’t played around with it much as I have had little time!. I did install it on my laptop which past away (nothing to do with Ubuntu Mate, it was the backlight!) a few days later so I got another one off of eBay! (2nd hand).

Seems stable on my normal HP PC. :smiley:

You going to try that 1.12 ppa? I am getting really really tempted to install it, but I hope instead to see it in the regular channels. I know a couple of people already running it and they report its stable.

And congrads on your eBay find :slight_smile:

I don’t think I will, a dev version on top of a dev version, doesn’t really sound like a good combination to me!. :smiley:

The problem there as I see it is that I might not know which is causing a problem should a problem indeed arise!, if the dev version of Mate causes a problem, I might think that the system is the cause and look in the wrong place to try and fix it, that also works vice versa!!.

UM 16.04 seems stable enough to me, I did notice a problem updating Flash this morning but I am running BBC One ( http://www.filmon.com/tv/bbc-one?quality=low ) in the background as I type and it plays okay!. :smiley:

Yes, I agree. Better at this point to show a little patience and wait for it.

Not a big user of BBC I guess because I’m located in the states, but been a RedGreen fan for years :slight_smile:

I am really pretty much problem free at the moment. The biggest thing I am dealing with is FireFox. Standard FF works without issue, but I use FF ESR. It will intermittently lock up with a zombie process when closing or at times will take a full minute to close, generating a crash report. Its not happening all the time making it tough for me to figure out.

1 Like

16.04 is running great in VirtualBox with very few problems. I’m downloading the daily build now, and considering running it as my primary OS. Real-time testing…indeed, so far so good.

@Wimpy… Before doing this, I’m following your instructions here: “MATE for Xenial” in VirtualBox. If all goes well, I’ll install as primary OS on my ThinkPad. Thanks for your work, brother man. :slightly_smiling:

2 Likes

Yes, just got 16.04 32 bit up and running fine from upgrade -d, and everything working fine…so far!

3 Likes

I just installed 16.04 on a Lenovo M58P desktop and is running very well. This is my first OS with MATE desktop and also limited experience with linux. This is basically a test machine with this the only OS.

2 Likes

Yep, I run it and so do a group of community members who are helping test.

2 Likes

I was surprised how well 16.04 runs because I figured being an alpha version it would have more issues. I am running the 64 bit version and have 8 gig of memory and have only received a couple of errors while testing. I have loaded several programs that I usually run and they work great.

3 Likes

16.04 Xenial is running wonderfully on my ThinkPad T410 with an Intel i5 processor , HD Graphics card, and 4 GB RAM. Running VirtualBox at 1 gigs of RAM (Windows 7 for Adobe Creative Cloud and Arch Linux just for fun). No problems at all. Keep up the great work, guys. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

My wife now runs m16o4 and she says its faster than her 12o4 (ubuntu) system.

1 Like

I’m still toying with it, I want to complete my language how-to and need to see how it responds when I completely change the system language!. :smiley:

1 Like

16.04 working nicely here on Toshiba P50 with Nvidia graphics…except Blu-Ray playback on VLC has stopped working…not too sure why yet…

1 Like

Did you install the following via a terminal (Ctrl + Alt + t)?:

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras

Yes, I’ve installed that and used Synaptic to install anything else recommended for vlc…just quit working on Blu-Ray with the AACS error…updated the KEYDB.cfg file,…nada

Try “libdvdcss2”:

http://pkgs.org/debian-ubuntu/videolan/libdvdcss2_1.2.13-0_i386.deb.html