App icon is huge on the panel

As you can see, the icon of insync is way bigger than it should be:

insync

Is this a MATE-problem or should I contact the app’s devs?

Screenshot%20at%202018-11-14%2012-20-41

You’re not alone. I was actually searching previous posts in the forum to see if I could find the fix I used prior to upgrading to 18.10, so this is a known problem. I’ll post a link to the solution that worked for me if\when I find it.

It’s frustrating though, this is one of those things that would seem to be something that could have been fixed by now…

EDIT: This was the post that helped me on 18.04, unfortunately i did nothing for me on 18.10. I ultimately fixed the issue for myself by switching icon themes to Ubuntu-Mono-Dark. I’d suggest trying a different icon theme and if it persists contacting the developer of your app.

EDIT II: I take it back. I just installed and opened Steam and am seeing the icon huge in the tray just like the weather icon before and your insync app.

Screenshot%20at%202018-11-18%2013-56-01

There is a nasty bug in applet complete , at this moment there is NO fix and NO workaround it.

Well, that’s a bummer. I was hoping it was only one app, but I see you are having problems with Steam, I also installed teamviewer and it’s the same. Will try a different icon theme, but I believe I’m using the stock one and as far as I understand, if something is stock it should work out-of-the-box, and custom things are the ones that could break things.

I have a good news. We will start to test another tipe of applets to see how they work and what problems we will have with them. So maybe in 19.04 or 19.10 this and other problems with applets will be gone.

1 Like

That would be great. Feel free to message me if I can help and I’ll be happy to report back apps off a list if it helps any?

An other interesting applet bug(?) is that the volume icon, if muted, sometimes turnes red and then switches back to standard grey. Here is a great example I recorded just now. Every time I open up the calendar it switches color: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6RTK8PUoJA

I couldn’t find any correlation with sound playback, happens randomly. Anyway, it’s interesting.

It’s that a custom theme?

No custom things whatsoever. Theme is Ambiant-MATE-Dark, icon collection is Ambiant-MATE

Hi,
sometime the huge icons problem in top bar is fixed editing the .desktop file of the applications

e.g : insync.desktop dropbox.desktop … that are located in ~/.config/autostart

change exec line adding dbus-launch (dbus-launch insync…)

Sometimes, with 4k hidpi display and QT applications, adding QT_SCALE_FACTOR=1 or =2 fixes huge or tiny behaviour

roby

I tried them, but unfortunately neither dbus-launch nor QT scale fixed the issue.