Appgrid freezing upon opening (latest version of Mate)

I have installed Appgrid through the initial install from the welcome screen and then uninstalled it through the terminal and reinstalled through the terminal and Appgrid still is frozen upon opening. Does anyone have an idea why this might be? Thanks.

Try opening it from the terminal:

appgrid

Get any errors?

Also what are you running?

inxi -S

It is not on my system anymore since I removed it. Should I install again? And if so, any particular way to install it?

Kernel: 4.4.0-28-generic x86_64 (64 bit)
Desktop: MATE 1.12.1 Distro: Ubuntu 16.04 xenial

Up to you, but you did start a thread on this.

The usual choice for advance users is Synaptic package manager, also can be installed through the Software Boutique.

I installed via SB and it still freezes no matter if I open it with the gui or the terminal. It works longer when I open with the terminal though. When I start it with the terminal it says the following:

appgrid
/usr/share/appgrid/appgrid.py:17: PyGIWarning: Gtk was imported without specifying a version first. Use gi.require_version('Gtk', '3.0') before import to ensure that the right version gets loaded.
  from gi.repository import Gtk, Gdk
/usr/share/appgrid/appdata/helpers.py:9: PyGIWarning: Soup was imported without specifying a version first. Use gi.require_version('Soup', '2.4') before import to ensure that the right version gets loaded.
  from gi.repository import GLib, GObject, Soup
/usr/share/appgrid/accountmanager.py:5: PyGIWarning: GnomeKeyring was imported without specifying a version first. Use gi.require_version('GnomeKeyring', '1.0') before import to ensure that the right version gets loaded.
  from gi.repository import GnomeKeyring as gk
/usr/bin/appgrid: line 25: 29901 Killed                  /usr/share/appgrid/appgrid.py "$@"

/usr/bin/appgrid: line 25 (last line) should show just β€œfi”

Is that what you see?

Also if you go to /usr/share/appgrid/appgrid.py and double click on it, that should start Appgrid.

Try that

No I don’t see the β€œfi” only the β€œ$@”. I opened Appgrid with the appgrid.py file and it worked for about a few minutes. Long enough for me to download Synaptic, but then froze again. I am just going to use Synaptic from now on I think. Thanks for the consideration!

1 Like

A couple of handy links.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SynapticHowto

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/synaptic-package-manager-beginners-guide-for-ubuntu-users.html

Thanks V3xx I like Synaptic. Good info.