Applications Menu, icons of newly installed apps

I noticed a strange behaviour today. After installing Deluge bittorrent client, the icon did not immediately appear in the Internet category in the Applications menu.
If I logout-login, it is displayed correctly. When I go to Edit Menu, Deluge is listed and selected in the Internet category. It happened to a couple of other apps also but I forgot their names.

Has anyone else noticed this and found a way to fix this?
I’m using the default MATE panel. Btw, is there a way to reload/refresh the panel without having to logout?

A few days ago, I installed Oracle Virtualbox which correctly updated the menu icon immediately.
So it’s kind of not consistent behaviour, problem happens only with a few apps, I’m not sure what might be causing it.

I’m using Ubuntu-Mate 15.10, 64 bit OS.

Have you tried refreshing the panel?

I can’t find the correct way to refresh it. Right click on the panel has no option to refresh.

I tried the following command from the terminal

$ mate-panel --replace

But it replaces with a new panel as the subprocess of the terminal/shell I think, I’m not sure, so when I close the terminal the panel disappears.

When icons don’t show up immediately after install it is typically a packaging mistake where the desktop menus are not refreshed.

You can refresh menus manually using the following command, sudo update-desktop-database

Hi Martin,
I ran that command but got a command not found error.
Is there a specific package I need to install to get that command?

Ooops, sudo update-desktop-database, original post edited.

I ran sudo update-desktop-database but no luck, it did not refresh or display the icon in the menu.
I agree it looks like a packaging mistake, because many other programs display the icons immediately after installing.
However I think refreshing/reloading the menu/panel might force the icons to be displayed, but I can’t find a simple way to do that, without logging out and in.

I have a rather interesting issue with Advanced Mate Menu and I'm forced to currently use Main Mate Menu. I also tried UKUI Menu and it gave same issue. Here's a screenshot.

As you can see the menu listings are gone and I tried sudo update-desktop-database command as well, didn't do anything. The Main Mate Menu shows the programs fine, even new installs. However, its definitely not my preferred menu. Any ideas Martin?