Areas of Improvement - A Quick Recap

• #1 Networking

Let's face it, Xenial completely screwed up the network stack and I have a hard time because of it.
Now, I know that's not something Ubuntu MATE can personally deal with because, well, focus here is the desktop and not the core. However, I've identified one issue that I believe is specific to the MATE desktop.
Sometimes, the applet crashes and does not respawn. Reboot does not fix it, the icon is just gone and stays gone until one opens a terminal and issue the command nm-applet &.
Provided the stack is still not fixed when 17.04 is released, I would very much like a build in workaround. It could be something as simple as a shell script checking every ten seconds the output of ps axu | grep nm-applet and restarting it when it's not detected.

• #2 [Opinion] The Places Menu should list every default folder including Downloads, Videos, Music and so on.

• #3 mate-screensaver has some issues when using Compton.

I'm hit by the "fades to black then don't start" bug, and I also encountered times where when waking from suspend it would fail to recognize my password. Reason unknown and I just kill it from tty1

• #4 The lack of Boutique translation

I know @lah7's working on it - this will be great when it lands. :)

• #5 The lack of Website translation

I can't really just give people the URL https://ubuntu-mate.org/ and tell them to take a look, the vast majority of my fellow Frenchmen have a terrible command of English.

• #6 Caja-dropbox does not update status icon of files in my dropbox folder for some reason. I have to hit F5 a lot to refresh the icons

• #7 I find the lack of "Log Out" button in the panel frustrating. I think it should be included in the default layout.

• #8 I can't use the super key alone as a launcher for some reason. @chasbel2112 has the exact same issue:

Now, I know this is doable because the super key can be used to bring down the advanced menu. I have no idea of the technical difficulties involved but I would really appreciate a way to use it as a launcher for synapse which has been a godsend.

• #9 We should be able to save (and export) multiple panel layouts in MATE Tweak
  • #10 No program should ever be able to hold up a shutdown if we've already told the system to "Shut down anyway"

• #11 Disk Mounter applet could be added to Redmond Panel layout

- **#12** Default color mode for Pluma should be "oblivion", this is subjective and therefore arguable, but the default "Ambiant-MATE" theme is ugly. I would also like to have "Highlight matching bracket" and "Insert spaces instead of tabs" default ON.
- **#13** Default LightDM background and Default Background should be the same image https://ubuntu-mate.community/t/default-lightdm-background-and-default-background-should-be-the-same-image/8975
  • #14 The minimized Chrome + Compiz bug is still present as of 17.04
7 Likes

To add my thoughts to this, I’d love to see the return of the original power indicator/menu (that lives in the top-right). In Ubuntu traditionally, this had Log Out, user switching and power options.

It is possible to drag the folder into the Bookmarks sidebar and that does the trick. :thinking: I personally wouldn’t want that menu to be “full”, since too many bookmarks go into its own “Bookmarks” sub-menu. :frowning:

I’ll have a research into that at some point. It might be a while before I do, but this had been something desired for quite a long time. :ok_hand:

2 Likes

Thank you @ouroumov for posting this.

I can relate to your post. I found Xenial and MATE 1.12 to be a regression compared to Trusty and MATE 1.8.

The worst issue is the networking stack. I don’t trust new versions of Network Manager, doesn’t matter which distro. UM 16.04 also has a separate issue which doesn’t seem to affect other Xenial based distros. NM doesn’t remember state. I disable Wifi and after a reboot it’s back on again.

I was hit with Compiz issues and then by the screensaver bug under Compton.

I think MATE has the potential to be the most stable and user friendly desktop. And the new icons and menu look promising. UM 16.04 is not bad, but it’s not trouble free.

Slowing down (Ubuntu) MATE development might be a good thing. Let Gnome and KDE chase “new & shiny”.

1 Like

Some updated for 17.10 so far:

#1 - Agreed, should be all sorted in 17.10 by beta 1.

#2 - So recent changes in upstream MATE (1.19) will help pave the way for this.

#3 - Fixed in Ubuntu MATE 17.10 daily. In additional the Compton defaults are now 100% tear free and the most suitable compositor to use for gaming.

#4 - Mostly done in Ubuntu MATE 17.10 daily and the remainder is planned.

#5 - I agree, I’ll if Transifex integration is possible. Failing that we’ll resort to a pull request technique.

#6 - I’ve not experienced that.

#7 - The panel layouts have been significantly reworked in Ubuntu MATE 17.10 daily. The System menu (in Applications Places System) has always had a logout. Cupertino, Pantheon and Mutiny now use Brisk Menu which include a Log Out option. I’ve also review the indicator-session code and intend to add MATE support and add support for it in MATE Tweak.

#8 - Super key activation is fixed for mate-settings-daemon, MATE Menu and Brisk Menu in Ubuntu MATE 17.10 daily. Fixes are in progress for MATE Dock Applet too. Now that decent Super key launching is available Synapse will be dropped from the default install.

#9 - I’ve been refactoring and cleaning up the MATE Tweak code. I hope to get this in for 17.10.

#10 - Easier than it sounds :wink: But I agree.

#11 - Has been added to the revised Redmond layout in Ubuntu MATE 17.10 daily, sadly Disk Mounter is broken.

#12 - Subjective. And the default Ambiant-MATE fits the default desktop theme. I agree about Insert Space and Highlight matching bracket, I’ve just made those the defaults in 17.10. Still need to release a new setting package, but will make Alpha1.

#13 - Agreed and this is the case in Ubuntu MATE 17.10 daily.

#14 - Fixed in Ubuntu MATE 17.10 daily. I’ve also significantly reduced the memory requirements for running Compiz on Ubuntu MATE.

Some other general improvements worth mentioning:

• MATE Tweak no longer has an “Enable Indicators” feature. Indicators are simply default in the appropriate layouts.
  • MATE Tweak is less crashy and I’m working on a few more fixes.
  • indicator-power is support my MATE Tweak. I’d forgotten I patch indicator-power with MATE support over 2 years ago!
  • MATE Optimus (an nvidia prime utility) now operates as an Indicator when Indicators are available.
  • I’ve been working with an upstream project on a new Global Menu implementation. It is fully compatible. Currently in a PPA but I plan to upload it to the archive soon.
  • I’ve reworked mate-hud and it is now fully compatible with GTK2, GTK3, Qt4, Qt5, Firefox, Thunderbird, LibreOffice and Electron applications. Again, currently in a PPA and will be uploaded soon.
  • Global Menu and HUD are enabled by default when switching to the Mutiny and Cupertino layouts.
  • I’ve worked with upstream Brisk Menu on the 0.4.0 and 0.4.5 release to land features important to Ubuntu MATE. More work planned on that front.
  • MATE Menu has received many fixes and now have more intelligent results when search for applications to launch.
  • Ubuntu MATE Welcome has had lots of new applications added and the current master is also available for Xenial, Yakkety and Zesty via the Welcome PPA.
  • I’ve started creating new slides for Ubiquity to help user discover Ubuntu MATE features such as MATE Tweak and the Software Boutique.
  • All the MATE 1.18 point releases have been tested and uploaded to Artful archive.

All that work has been started/completed since the release of Ubuntu MATE 17.04 just two months ago. This continues the focus we gave on improving the quality of Ubuntu MATE during the 17.04 cycle.

6 Likes

Holly Fantastic work.

Is this really a bug? As @monsta was saying I don’t think the applet should appear if there is no external drive detected.

Anyway, Zesty was already hitting the sweet spot but I have a feeling that Artful will just floor everything.

Thanks a lot for taking all these points into consideration. ^^

1 Like

Thanks for all your hard work @Wimpy :thumbsup:

I hope Network Manager will remember state between reboots because this was an Ubuntu MATE specific bug.

As long as you manually can change items on the panel all is good.

Wishlist for next version of MATE or Ubuntu MATE 18.04:

Make it possible to choose a different colour for Caja background. Most themes come with a white Caja background and can’t be edited in a way that doesn’t affect other areas.

I do not see my on going and continuous problem where as I do not use Firefox and I don`t know if that is the cause or not but after a brief trouble free operation the update manager fails. Cannot update via the update manager in either 16.04 or 17.04 and from everything I have read still has not been addressed. Been using Arch (Antergos) for a couple of months problem free with rolling updates daily. Has the problem been corrected in 17.10 ? What could be causing the updates to fail. It is the same problem I posted sometime ago.

I already mentioned this a couple of times, but I think it’s important to bring up again: how about adding a “Redmond Modern” theme more akin to Windows 7 and later versions (brisk menu, dock applet, …) as an alternative for those folks who deem the current Redmond layout a bit too “old-school”?

4 Likes

It seems you're not the only one wishing for this @maximuscore:

2 Likes

I’m with @maximuscore, a Redmon Modern would be a nice to have.

Redmond now uses MATE Menu by default.

2 Likes