Asking for feedbacks about using UM with Nvidia Driver (Quadro)

Hello,
As a matter of fact, it is never so obvious for linux users to properly install and use their computer with Nvidia / AMD GPU drivers enabled - as far as i understand this question - this is a proprietary software concerns.
Before trying again Ubuntu Mate on a new machine with Nvidia Quadro M2000M, i would like to ask the community for feedbacks if possible.
Do you use Ubuntu Mate with Nvidia drivers ?
How does it really works for you daily ( pro and day to day use) ?
Have you enable other composing manager in 20.04 to make it works ? Such as Compton ?
Thank you very much for your time.
Have a nice day and enjoy these specials days where ever you are in this world ...

I'm using Ubuntu with Nvidia graphic cards - Go 6600, 9600 GT and GT425M since Ubuntu 10.04 LTS.
Later some of these systems were upgraded to Ubuntu MATE 16.04 LTS, I do not have any issues.
Currently GT425M works normally with Ubuntu 18.04 LTS and 20.04 LTS too. Both Compiz and Compton operate well.

According to Nvidia drivers page Quadro M2000M needs driver version 450.80.02. This driver is normally available for Ubuntu 20.04 LTS from repository. So it should work.

See more details in the 20.04 LTS release notes.

Thank you for your answer.
Actually i only use Linux since 10 years now so should be close to 10.04 version i guess ! :slight_smile:
My concern is mostly to avoid tearing. On Debian 10 i have to enable Compton for instance, but i am not a big fan of it, the alt-tab key in Compton looks ... not that good for, let's say "moderns days".
I mostly use Gnome since quite a long time but i like to try others desktops. I used Ubuntu Mate for some months in the past but had All Intel CPU and GPU at that time, so no problem at all.
In Ubuntu (default) and POP_OS, i install Nvidia drivers, it is "450's family" for my graphic card (455.38 in POP_OS).
In kde i had to enable "Force full composition pipeline" from Nvidia-Settigs. May i ask if you tried this option to avoid tearing ? Or compton only ?
Thank you so much.

On my systems I have never suffer from screen tearing.
Maybe others will share your vision.

Ok Norbert_X. I thank you for your feedback !