Assistance on getting Brother printer to work

Continuing the discussion from WINE on Ubuntu 17.10:

[Context after split: @emjaycee is trying to get a Brother MFC-L2710DW printer+scanner to work on Ubuntu MATE 17.10.]

Everything is ok, you had three packages updated. BTW, you can discard the update manager if it’s still opened (as it might not have reloaded the list and thus display the packages that just got updated).

Now, you can reinstall the drivers for your printer. Are you ok with this or do you need help? If you follow the instructions on Brother’s website, you should be fine but I know from experience that Brother drivers can be very complicated to install properly in some cases.

Oops, sorry… didn’t notice that you had replied!

I found that extracting the Brother installer seemed to work better using the terminal than Engrampa (?) for some reason. But after I extracted through terminal I found it better to follow the information and commands on the Brother website than follow the commands from a webpage I found online.

I think I will start by deleting all the printers manually first and any downloads in the download folder just to make sure it’s clear and then start the process and then put the results online for you to check out sometime later. It’s probably early am where you are lol and I will most likely be going out to my agility trial before you get up again. O maybe I’ll just do it in the one post seeing I don’t trust the Forum not to kick me off for overuse lol.

Hmmm. It won’t let me delete one of the printers… I guess it’s the USB connected one so maybe I’ll leave that in place lol.

Have run into problems (surprise surprise lol). Didn’t know how to find the ip address of the printer for starters. But, there were heaps of other issues along the road as well. I’ll copy/paste all the relevant stuff below for you:

emjaycee@ubuntu-mate-mjc:~/Downloads$ sudo bash linux-brprinter-installer-2.2.0-1 MFC-L2710DW
[sudo] password for emjaycee: 
You are going to install following packages.
   mfcl2710dwpdrv-4.0.0-1.i386.deb
   brscan4-0.4.4-3.amd64.deb
   brscan-skey-0.2.4-1.amd64.deb
OK? [y/N] ->y

Some rubbish agreements stuff then:

Do you agree? [Y/n] ->y

wget -T 10 -nd --no-cache .brother.com/pub/bsc/linux/packages/mfcl2710dwpdrv-4.0.0-1.i386.deb
--2018-02-03 11:46:09--  brother.com/pub/bsc/linux/packages/mfcl2710dwpdrv-4.0.0-1.i386.deb
Resolving .brother.com (.brother.com)... 23.57.67.150, 23.57.67.215
Connecting to .brother.com (.brother.com)|23.57.67.150|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 404 Not Found
2018-02-03 11:46:10 ERROR 404: Not Found.

dpkg -x mfcl2710dwpdrv-4.0.0-1.i386.deb /
dpkg-deb: error: failed to read archive 'mfcl2710dwpdrv-4.0.0-1.i386.deb': No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat '/home/emjaycee/Downloads/mfcl2710dwpdrv-4.0.0-1.i386.deb': No such file or directory
dpkg-deb: error: failed to read archive 'mfcl2710dwpdrv-4.0.0-1.i386.deb': No such file or directory
linux-brprinter-installer-2.2.0-1: line 2354: DEBIAN/control.tmp: No such file or directory
cat: DEBIAN/control: No such file or directory
mv: cannot stat 'DEBIAN/control.tmp': No such file or directory
dpkg-deb: error: failed to open package info file './brother_driver_packdir/DEBIAN/control' for reading: No such file or directory
dpkg -b ./brother_driver_packdir mfcl2710dwpdrv-4.0.0-1a.i386.deb
mv: cannot stat '/tmp/brprinter-installer/mfcl2710dwpdrv-4.0.0-1a.i386.deb': No such file or directory
dpkg -i --force-all mfcl2710dwpdrv-4.0.0-1a.i386.deb
dpkg: error: cannot access archive 'mfcl2710dwpdrv-4.0.0-1a.i386.deb': No such file or directory
###############################ls: cannot access '/usr/share/ppd/*.ppd': No such file or directory
ls: cannot access '/usr/share/cups/model/*.ppd': No such file or directory
#

0: socket
1: cups-brf:/
2: beh
3: ipp
4: hp
5: lpd
6: serial:/dev/ttyS0?baud=115200
7: https
8: http
9: ipps
10: smb
11: usb://Brother/MFC-L2710DW%20series?serial=E78329J7N153227
12: hpfax
13: dnssd://Brother%20MFC-L2710DW%20series._ipp._tcp.local/?uuid=e3248000-80ce-11db-8000-3c2af42d19f7
14: ipp://BRWE89EB44701B9.local:631/ipp/print
15 (I): Specify IP address.
16 (A): Auto. (usb://Brother/MFC-L2710DW%20series?serial=E78329J7N153227)

select the number of destination Device URI. ->N

Test Print? [y/N] ->y

wait 5s.
lpr -P MFCL2710DW /usr/share/cups/data/testprint
lpr: No such file or directory
   brscan4-0.4.4-3.amd64.deb

Some more rubbish agreement stuff then:

Do you agree? [Y/n] ->y

wget -T 10 -nd --no-cache.brother.com/pub/bsc/linux/packages/brscan4-0.4.4-3.amd64.deb
--2018-02-03 11:47:16--  .brother.com/pub/bsc/linux/packages/brscan4-0.4.4-3.amd64.deb
Resolving .brother.com (.brother.com)... 23.57.67.215, 23.57.67.150
Connecting to .brother.com (.brother.com)|23.57.67.215|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 74110 (72K) [text/plain]
Saving to: 'brscan4-0.4.4-3.amd64.deb’

brscan4-0.4.4-3.amd 100%[===================>]  72.37K  --.-KB/s    in 0.02s   

2018-02-03 11:47:16 (2.91 MB/s) - 'brscan4-0.4.4-3.amd64.deb’ saved [74110/74110]

dpkg -i --force-all brscan4-0.4.4-3.amd64.deb
(Reading database ... 334873 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack brscan4-0.4.4-3.amd64.deb ...
Unpacking brscan4 (0.4.4-3) over (0.4.4-3) ...
Setting up brscan4 (0.4.4-3) ...
This software is based in part on the work of the Independent JPEG Group.
   brscan-skey-0.2.4-1.amd64.deb

Some more rubbish agreement stuff then:

Do you agree? [Y/n] ->y

wget -T 10 -nd --no-cache .brother.com/pub/bsc/linux/packages/brscan-skey-0.2.4-1.amd64.deb
--2018-02-03 11:47:22--  .brother.com/pub/bsc/linux/packages/brscan-skey-0.2.4-1.amd64.deb
Resolving .brother.com (.brother.com)... 23.57.67.150, 23.57.67.215
Connecting to .brother.com (.brother.com)|23.57.67.150|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 50852 (50K) [text/plain]
Saving to: 'brscan-skey-0.2.4-1.amd64.deb’

brscan-skey-0.2.4-1 100%[===================>]  49.66K  --.-KB/s    in 0.02s   

2018-02-03 11:47:22 (2.05 MB/s) - 'brscan-skey-0.2.4-1.amd64.deb’ saved [50852/50852]

dpkg -i --force-all brscan-skey-0.2.4-1.amd64.deb
(Reading database ... 334873 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack brscan-skey-0.2.4-1.amd64.deb ...
Unpacking brscan-skey (0.2.4-1) over (0.2.4-1) ...
Setting up brscan-skey (0.2.4-1) ...
 enter IP address ->

I’ll need to go back and check and get rid of any http stuff if it’s there (clearly I also had to get rid of www stuff as well!) and then I can send this. But, as you can see there is a LOT of stuff that simply did not work lol.

Cheers
M.

I did fin an ip address eventually although I’m not 100% sure it was the right one. Entered it anyway and it gave me this extra information:

enter IP address ->192.168.0.13

brsaneconfig4 -a name=MFC-L2710DW model=MFC-L2710DW ip=192.168.0.13
emjaycee@ubuntu-mate-mjc:~/Downloads$

Cheers
Michael

Not sure what you did but just in case, software you find for Linux is usually available in two formats:

• an archive (usually .tar.gz but might be .zip or similar) containing the files to install manually or with a script;
  • a package (.deb for Debian/Ubuntu; you might find other formats like .rmp but they’re for different distros) that is the equivalent of a Windows installer.

In the case of an archive, you can extract its content using Engrampa or from the terminal, it’s the same. But if you download a deb package, don’t extract it, it’s made to be installed simply by double-clicking on it (it’ll launch the Gdebi installer). There are some specifig cases that require to use the terminal to install a package (when it’s a 32 bit version that you install on a 64 bit distro, e.g.) but in any case, never extract a deb package, it’s not meant to.

Usually, you’ll want to use packages rather than manual installation because they put files in the right places and are easy to upgrade or remove. Repositories host packages.

Brother offers downloads for the drivers in both forms: either an archive containing a script to install them, or deb packages. Both methods give pretty much the same result as the installation script will create packages anyway.

Yeah, if you see that I take time to reply, it’s because I’m in France (it’s currently 9 am). :wink:

So, from what I see in your message, you used the installation script from Brother and it generated the packages. To get an overview of the current situation:

• is the printer recognized in the system settings?
  • does it work or does it output blank pages?
  • is the scanner recognized by Simple Scan?

Give me also the output of the following command to see if everything has been installed:

dpkg -l | grep Brother
emjaycee@ubuntu-mate-mjc:~$ dpkg -l | grep Brother
ii  brscan-skey                           0.2.4-1                                  amd64        Brother Linux scanner S-KEY tool
ii  brscan4                               0.4.4-3                                  amd64        Brother Scanner Driver
ii  printer-driver-brlaser                3-5                                      amd64        printer driver for (some) Brother laser printers
emjaycee@ubuntu-mate-mjc:~$ 

It says it's a 'network' printer. That's the one it wouldn't let me delete this morning when I tried to lol. It doesn't come up as a USB connection. It says it's based on CUPS, but no, it won't print at all. It just sends stuff to a print queue. I did manage to add the USB version of this printer as well, but it won't print a test page either... just goes to print queue.

And yes, now when I bring up 'simple scan' it does recognize the Brother printer whereas it never did before. That may also be due to the update I got for 'simple scan' last night. I haven't tried to see yet whether 'simple scan' actually works. Just tried, this was the result:

The message is huge and it won't let me copy paste it on here either. When I did manage to force the printer to print all it outputted was blank pages. I'm not even sure how I managed to force print it actually.

So, not very promising methinks. But the Brother part of it did definitely 'try' to install stuff when I went through the process in terminal... maybe it didn't install 'all' it required... maybe it couldn't access all it required. The printer being recognized as a scanner is different though.

Sorry, I had 3 pictures but I'm only allowed to post one. I left the scanner one there. The other two were showing one printer (network - CUPS) and the second was showing two printers (network CUPS and USB one)

Cheers
M.

I think everythong is properly installed, you have the printer driver (printer-driver-brlaser), the scanner driver (brscan4) and an optional tool to scan using the physical button (brscan-skey). You may lack one package related to the scanner but we’ll see that after checking something (see below).

I’m a bit confused: is your printer connected in USB or through the network (ethernet or wi-fi)?

If you check CUPS (in your browser: http://localhost:631/) → Printers, is it listed? If so, and you click on its name, what does it say for location, driver and connection?

About the scanner, does it work if you start Simple Scan as root?

sudo simple-scan
emjaycee@ubuntu-mate-mjc:~$ sudo simple-scan
[sudo] password for emjaycee: 
Segmentation fault
emjaycee@ubuntu-mate-mjc:~$ 

I'm guessing this is the same result as when I tried it through the Mate desktop GUI. Both failed to scan.

My printer is connected by a USB but because it didn't work, I also set it up wirelessly to see if I could fare any better. But, I don't get any luck either way unfortunately. I was actually hoping that being a direct USB connection that it might work better than using a wi-fi connection... but no cigar lol.

Here is the CUPS image that you asked me to do:

Cheers
Michael

Nearly 2am here… starting to ‘slow down’ lol. I’m always on a bit of a high when I get back from agility - judging or competing - but it only goes for an hour or so and I’ve been home nearly 2 hours lol. Think I’m going to crash :slight_smile: Will check any further responses in the morning.

Cheers
Michael

I see that one of the printers is listed as “generic text only printer”. Click on it, on the page you’ll be, you’ll see an Administration drop down menu. In it, select “delete printer” to remove it (I guess you can do the same through the MATE Control Center if you prefer). Then, get back to the printers list (the one from your screenshot), click on the remaining one listed as Brother MFC-L2710DW and give me the infos asked above (location, driver and connection).

In theory, you could setup the printer as USB + wi-fi but we’ll start with one connection type.

For the scanner part, open your home dir, display hidden files, go in .cache and delete the simple-scan dir you’ll see ther. Then, start it with:

simple-scan -d
emjaycee@ubuntu-mate-mjc:~$ simple-scan -d
[+0.00s] DEBUG: simple-scan.vala:637: Starting Simple Scan 3.26.3, PID=26489
[+0.05s] DEBUG: app-window.vala:1714: Loading state from /home/emjaycee/.cache/simple-scan/state
[+0.05s] DEBUG: app-window.vala:1671: Restoring window to 600x400 pixels
[+0.05s] DEBUG: autosave-manager.vala:64: Loading autosave information
[+0.05s] DEBUG: autosave-manager.vala:259: Waiting to autosave...
[+0.08s] DEBUG: scanner.vala:1454: sane_init () -> SANE_STATUS_GOOD
[+0.08s] DEBUG: scanner.vala:1460: SANE version 1.0.27
[+0.08s] DEBUG: scanner.vala:1521: Requesting redetection of scan devices
[+0.08s] DEBUG: scanner.vala:806: Processing request
[+0.15s] DEBUG: autosave-manager.vala:281: Autosaving book information
[+0.25s] DEBUG: app-window.vala:1775: Saving state to /home/emjaycee/.cache/simple-scan/state
[+6.24s] DEBUG: scanner.vala:341: sane_get_devices () -> SANE_STATUS_GOOD
[+6.24s] DEBUG: scanner.vala:353: Device: name="brother4:net1;dev0" vendor="Brother" model="*MFC-L2710DW" type="MFC-L2710DW"
[+6.24s] DEBUG: scanner.vala:353: Device: name="brother4:bus4;dev1" vendor="Brother" model="*MFC-L2710DW series" type="USB scanner"
[+6.34s] DEBUG: app-window.vala:1775: Saving state to /home/emjaycee/.cache/simple-scan/state
[+73.19s] DEBUG: app-window.vala:1775: Saving state to /home/emjaycee/.cache/simple-scan/state

That's the simple scan bit above. Yes, I sent the original to trash and then did the above command and it reappeared in .cache.

I did remove the USB printer via CUPS as suggested. Do you want me to also remove the actual USB connector from the computer?

As per last time, the wi-fi printer doesn't actually give you a location at all. Here is the screenshot:

There are no job sheets showing because I used maintenance to cancel them. I know it was up above 20 last time I looked which is why I got 20 blank pages when I actually managed to 'force' a print.

Oh, when I did the Brother install through terminal, I only downloaded the .gz file from the website. I tried using the others one other time but obviously I didn't know how to handle the .deb files etc anyway lol. When I unpacked through terminal, it only showed me the unpacked file in Downloads. When I unpacked using Engrampa it had both the .gz file and the unpacked file in Downloads. I was just surprised it was different, so I stuck with the terminal method as that is supposed to be the 'best' way lol.

Hope that all makes sense.

Cheers
Michael

That’s the simple scan bit above. Yes, I sent the original to trash and then did the above command and it reappeared in .cache.

It’s normal that the files reappear. Does Simple Scan start after the command? According to the debug, everything seems to be fine.

I did remove the USB printer via CUPS as suggested. Do you want me to also remove the actual USB connector from the computer?

No, keep it connected for now.

As per last time, the wi-fi printer doesn’t actually give you a location at all. Here is the screenshot:

If you choose Modify printer in Administration, then continue with the current connection (or you can try USB if you want) until it asks for the driver to use, do you have something like “Brother MFCL2710DW for CUPS”? If so, try to select it and validate with “Modify printer”.

Yes, the scanner GUI came up and said it was ready to scan. It sounded like it was actually working and it didn't come up with an error message. Oops, yes it did. I went looking for a scanned file (not knowing where to look lol) but then a short time later, the message came up that it did crash. I'll type out some of the stuff I think might be relevant below:

"simples-scan crashed with SIGSEGV in make_cache_block()"
"Segv reason reading NULL VMA''

Umm... one thing I did do when I went searching was to doubleclick on VMLINUZ in File System. Could I have actually caused the crash by doing that? The message only happened after I did that.

When I hit continue, I come to the blank description and location field, hit continue again and it gives me all the Brother options. The selected option is ''Brother MFC-L2710DW series, driverless, cups-filters 1.17.9'' as per jpeg from previous post. There are no other Brother 2710 options. There are a number of other options for different models, including MFCs, but none for a 2710. Some of the other options are even 'recommended' but not the correct printer model.

In other words the current option, for a 2710, is the only option I have available... and it doesn't seem to work lol. I left it as is and haven't modified anything as yet.

Cheers
Michael

a short time later, the message came up that it did crash. I’ll type out some of the stuff I think might be relevant below:
“simples-scan crashed with SIGSEGV in make_cache_block()”
"Segv reason reading NULL VMA’’
Umm… one thing I did do when I went searching was to doubleclick on VMLINUZ in File System. Could I have actually caused the crash by doing that? The message only happened after I did that.

Don’t click on vmlinuz. I don’t think that’s what caused a crash but you’re not supposed to run it, it’s the kernel. If you start Simple Scan in a terminal, does it segfault as before or does it start?

The selected option is ‘‘Brother MFC-L2710DW series, driverless, cups-filters 1.17.9’’ as per jpeg from previous post. There are no other Brother 2710 options. There are a number of other options for different models, including MFCs, but none for a 2710. Some of the other options are even ‘recommended’ but not the correct printer model.

That’s annoying: I thought that maybe the driver selected was one from Ubuntu but it looks like it’s really the proper one that’s been installed by the Brother script.

If you try “Brother MFC-L2710DW series” in Local Printers (on your screenshot), does it change anything?

Currently, in CUPS, on the Printers pages, there’s only one displayed, right? Is it on “Idle” or “Idle - Unable to add documents to print job”?

Okay - let’s start with simple scan in terminal. The GUI came up immediately. I didn’t hear it start up though. This is the report that came through:

emjaycee@ubuntu-mate-mjc:~$ simple-scan -d
[+0.00s] DEBUG: simple-scan.vala:637: Starting Simple Scan 3.26.3, PID=5674
[+0.04s] DEBUG: app-window.vala:1714: Loading state from /home/emjaycee/.cache/simple-scan/state
[+0.04s] DEBUG: app-window.vala:1671: Restoring window to 600x400 pixels
[+0.04s] DEBUG: autosave-manager.vala:64: Loading autosave information
[+0.04s] DEBUG: autosave-manager.vala:259: Waiting to autosave...
[+0.07s] DEBUG: scanner.vala:1454: sane_init () -> SANE_STATUS_GOOD
[+0.07s] DEBUG: scanner.vala:1460: SANE version 1.0.27
[+0.07s] DEBUG: scanner.vala:1521: Requesting redetection of scan devices
[+0.07s] DEBUG: scanner.vala:806: Processing request
[+0.14s] DEBUG: autosave-manager.vala:281: Autosaving book information
[+0.22s] DEBUG: app-window.vala:1775: Saving state to /home/emjaycee/.cache/simple-scan/state
[+6.23s] DEBUG: scanner.vala:341: sane_get_devices () -> SANE_STATUS_GOOD
[+6.23s] DEBUG: scanner.vala:353: Device: name="brother4:net1;dev0" vendor="Brother" model="*MFC-L2710DW" type="MFC-L2710DW"
[+6.23s] DEBUG: scanner.vala:353: Device: name="brother4:bus4;dev3" vendor="Brother" model="*MFC-L2710DW series" type="USB scanner"
[+6.33s] DEBUG: app-window.vala:1775: Saving state to /home/emjaycee/.cache/simple-scan/state
[+58.75s] DEBUG: app-window.vala:1775: Saving state to /home/emjaycee/.cache/simple-scan/state

When I went to the above mentioned hidden folder, ‘state’ was simply a pluma text with no picture at all. As i said, it didn’t even ‘sound’ like it was working whereas last night it went through the rounds and sounded like it was scanning… or at least trying to.

I’ll have to get back to the printers query shortly… need to set it all up again lol. But need dinner first… assuming you’ve had a late brekky and ready to enjoy your Sunday… mine is just about finished :slight_smile:

Cheers
Michael

Don’t bother about the files or dirs it mentions in the debug. What I want to check is if it crashes with a segfault as before or if it starts properly. It seems that it’s the case. If you go in the preferences, does it show your scanner in the first tab? If so, what happens if you start a scan?

Back… and hunger sated lol.

Okay, am assuming by ‘preferences’ that you mean ‘preferences’ in the Mate Main menu? Both ‘printers’ and ‘simple scan’ appear in the first tab of ‘All’ (as you would expect I guess). Neither ‘printers’ nor ‘simple scan’ appear in the first tab of ‘Preferences’ at all. I find ‘printers’ under the ‘Administration’ tab and I find ‘simple scan’ under the ‘Graphics’ tab. If I click on ‘printers’ in the Admin tab, the GUI comes up and, at the moment, the only printer i have connected is the wi-fi CUPS one. If I click ‘simple scan’ under the Graphics tab, again the GUI comes up and says it is ready to scan and it does name the Brother 2710 printer as the scanning option. When I start a scan, the printer scan section lights up and makes some noises as if it’s about to start working, but nothing happens after that… although at some stage later i might receive an error message stating the scan has failed - that hasn’t happened as yet though. When I re-opened ‘simple scan’ it did re-open the GUI but there was no message at all other than it was ready. I checked all my home folders for a scanned file but i couldn’t see anything… would it send scanned files to a particular location normally?
Cheers
M.

Re printer query:

Printer in CUPS shows up as Idle - Unable to add document to print job.

If I change the printer selection to the local one you referred to, i end up in exactly the same place with the same CUPS option as currently. The closest things to it are a Brother HL-2700CN (two options - BR script and foomatic) or a Brother MFC - P2500 Foomatic.

The 2700 could be similar to the MFC 2700 I previously owned but it is called a HL not an MFC. The MFC 2700 and 2710 are quite similar beasts but the 2710 is a bit more polished overall. Have never heard of an MFC - P2500 before.

The 2700 only uses LPR (I think) whereas the 2710 uses LPR and LPD. The 2710 is also slightly faster at printing, has better resolution and double the memory of the 2700.

I don’t know how much more i can tell you about the printer to be honest.

Cheers
M.

I meant preferences in Simple scan (Document → Preferences). If you see the name of your scanner there or in the middle of the screen, it’s ok.

In theory, when you start a scan, you should see the picture of the document scanned in the Simple Scan Window and then you click on “Save” to choose where to save it. If it doesn’t scan at all (you should see a small animation and then the document appearing progressively), there’s a weird issue.

As for the printer, I can’t find a lot of information about this specific issue but does it work if you try to print a test page (with the appropriate option)? Doesn’t print either?

Scanner - checked preferences and yeah, the MFC 2710 is in there as well as on the front page of the GUI. When it scans, it is just all these little circles going round and round but no image ever appears in the form of a picture or anything… and after a few seconds, it simply cuts out and the GUI disappears. This time it didn’t even make the scanner light up or make any noises like it did last time.

Printer - I have managed (once) to force it to print and all i ever got was totally blank pages. Usually, when i give it the print command, it says it’s going to the print queue and then nothing ever happens… it just never prints. and, it doesn’t matter if it’s the CUPS printer or the USB version. When i just open up the printer GUI and click on the printer, it does ask me to enter ‘device uri’ which is presently totally unpopulated. Is this relevant?

Cheers
M.

The circles animation is Simple Scan initializing the scanner. It then crashes when the scan really starts, it seems.

Just to be sure, you tried the option to send a test page? I mean not sending a document of your own but clicking on the button labeled “print test page” or something similar in the printer options?

As for the device URI, have you tried to set the one previously used (ipp://BRWE89EB44701B9.local:631/ipp/print)?

And just in case, is it the same if you unplug the USB cable?