Assistance on getting Brother printer to work

Oh, I didn’t do anything. WINE is actually installed and my Windows program actually works.

Was there another reason I had to use that terminal command? Is that going to do something else to help with this issue of printing/scanning?

Good idea re new post. I’ll chat to terzag tomorrow and let him know you’ve suggested a separate thread. Calling this one quits is probably a very good idea.

Cheers
Michael

Sure, it would force the installation but I avoided that as the libsane 32 and 64 bit packages seem to be different on the scanners rules they include and I assume it’s best to keep the config file from the 64 bit version on a 64 system rather than the one from the 32 bit version. Just in case some configuration related to the 32 bit lib would mess things up.

Yeah, it could be a good idea to open a new thread (or ask a moderator to split this one, I don’t know if it’s possible). At first, I thought the reinstallation of the packages removed during the tweaking for Wine and a bit of configuration would be enough but things kind of escalated. :wink:

BTW, after the reset of the settings (the last commands I gave), I assume nothing has changed when trying to print?

If you open a new thread, be sure to include the relevant informations:

• printer & scanner drivers have been installing from Brother’s website (using the script)
  • when trying to print, the jobs are queued and the CUPS web interface displays an error “Unable to add document to print job” (is that still the case?)
  • CUPS sees two printers (one being, I assume, a virtual printer to let you choose if you want to print through USB or wi-fi)
  • when trying to scan with Simple Scan, it crashes when the scan process begins

Hey :slight_smile: One of the posts above did say that nothing changed with that last set of commands. It didn’t delete any printers at all, hence no point in trying to reinstall anything lol. The one connected to the CUPS website which won’t die also doesn’t send off print requests even. It does allow me to change some parameters in its settings but as soon as I try to delete it, it just goes back to its old settings and stays there lol. It just seems totally weird that it can’t/won’t be deleted. The USB one at least sends print requests off and tries to render the print. It shows up the top with a printer image whereas the CUPS website one doesn’t. I’m totally stuffed lol. I would have to word it carefully… because it would be a bit like the blind leading the blind when I make up a new topic.

Cheers and happy lunchtime lol.
Michael (who is just back from dog training!)

Absolutely, and the topic has been split. :slight_smile:

Tip for @emjaycee - when pasting from the terminal, add 3 backticks around the text and it'll format so it's a bit easier to read, like so:

This is some preformatted text.

Or highlight it and press .

Thanks for the split and the tips - I’ll have to check them out and see how they work lol.
Michael

Sorry just saw this post. I had problems installing my Brother HL-L2340DW due to errors in the Brother installation file. I sent them a detailed message about it. I don’t know if this might be your problem, but take a look at this thread:

Help Installng Brother HL-L2340DW

It may be somewhat timely, but Brother actually just got back to me about something I sent them months ago now… and naturally, I mentioned this ‘problem’ to them :slight_smile: Who knows, maybe I’ll get lucky and they’ll have a good look at their installation file :slight_smile: Unfortunately, I’m not experienced enough with either computers/printers/Linux to help much in analyzing what’s actually going on in this instance. I did actually manage to get my old Brother MFC-L2700DW working in Solus and Manjaro and that is an almost identical machine to the 2710 so I do admit to being somewhat surprised. That said, in Solus, the 2700 worked without me doing anything, which really surprised me. I’d set the machine up wi-fi after an accident and the USB part was ‘killed’ and Solus was offering to print files for me automatically. I also have a Win 7 computer which I’m trying to get away from… be full on Linux only.

Will check that thread out… thanks :slight_smile:

Michael

I must admit, from reading your case, that mine is very, very similar. However, the installation file from Brother did go to my Downloads directory… so I can’t use your excuse lol.

Cheers
Michael

@emjaycee

Darn, I was hoping it would help. Brother never got back to me. about what I had found. But it sounds like they fixed it from what you say.

Like you I would like to ditch Windows, but some programs are just not available. Quicken, Smart Draw are the only two I can think of right now. I need to force myself to use Mate more often.

Problem solving in Linux is more complex than Widows, but then you have a few million more people using Windows and they don’t have to rely on the terminal mode. The old DOS days, not good; just old.

Best of luck to you, Fred

Well… I ‘think’ it still says the same thing on the Brother website… go to your Downloads folder… so maybe not :slight_smile:

I was rapt that terzag helped me get WINE downloaded. I really only have one product I absolutely HAVE to have that is Windows based - it is a product called Clean Run Course Designer which allows me to design agility courses/training sequences for a sport called dog agility.

It doesn’t run perfectly in Linux but it’s damn well perfect enough for my needs lol. Now… if only I could print theses sequences/courses out lol.

Still, early days for me and Linux so it’s all good… I can still print from Windows as required. I’ve used Solus Budgie and Manjaro KDE prior to this… and they’re both good. Still want to check Solus 4 out (KDE probably) and also 18.04 in Mate and 19.0 Mint Cinnamon.

The learning process, while it can be somewhat frustrating, is simply awesome :slight_smile:

Cheers
Michael

Hi all

I’m going to include the contents of an email conversation I’m having with Brother technical staff in Australia in the hope that it may be of some benefit to other owners of Brother printers who may be experiencing difficulties getting their printer/scanner to work in Linux. It is quite possible that it is totally irrelevant to other people, but it is still worth noting at least (in my opinion anyway).

Okay, a friend found this link for me:

http://support.brother.com/g/s/id/linux/en/instruction_prn1a.html?c=us_ot&lang=en&redirect=on

And, based on the result from the sudo dpkg -l | grep Brother command you gave me to use, I have to assume that for some reason the CUPSwrapper driver didn’t download with the install for my MFC-L2710DW printer. This was my result:

ii  brscan-skey                           0.2.4-1                                  amd64        Brother Linux scanner S-KEY tool
ii  brscan4                               0.4.4-3                                  amd64        Brother Scanner Driver
ii  printer-driver-brlaser                3-5                                      amd64        printer driver for (some) Brother laser printers

This may or may not be useful to you, but my MFC-L2700DW printer did actually work wirelessly for me on two different distributions (Solus 3 Budgie and Manjaro KDE) as I’ve mentioned in one of my previous emails, but when I went back to Solus 3 to try it, the new 2710 didn’t work for me at all, apart from the fact that it also isn’t working on my current Ubuntu Mate distro.

From what I can see online, the install package for both the 2700 and the 2710 look to be identical in that they have the same 2.2.0-1 .gz file of the same size. I do understand though, that they may not actually ‘be’ identical.

I’m just forwarding this information to be helpful but I do understand that you may well be completely on top of all this anyway.

Thanking you for your help and support thus far.

Cheers
Michael

Just received an email from Brother admitting that the CUPSwrapper driver is missing.

The enquiry has been forwarded to Japan so hopefully there will be good news sometime in the not too distant future.

Cheers
Michael

Hi Emjaycee
I just bought a Brother MFC-L2710DW and can’t make it work. Should be quite obvious but with printers, it rarely is :slight_smile: . Anyway, I tried to read all the thread and I’d like to be sure I understand your last message. This printer can’t work with Linux as there’s a CUPSwrapper driver missing ?

The scanner is working quite ok by the way

Regards

Chag

Hi, Me again :slight_smile:

So, sorted it out !!

I tried the install script but the printer was still not present in all the dropdown lists I could see (cups, pinter manager, etc.).

Went back to the brother website and downloaded the printer driver, not the automatic installation script. The file actually is : mfcl2710dwpdrv-4.0.0-1.i386.deb

installed it with sudo dpkg -i mfcl2710dwpdrv-4.0.0-1.i386.deb which install the ppd file in /opt/brother/Printers/

I can now install and setup the printer correctly and it’s now well recognized

Hey, sorry I didn’t even see this message. I actually went and tried MX out because my system overall has heaps of issues and is quite unstable at times with different distros. 17.10 original wasn’t the best experience for me in some ways. MX was really good but again I ran into issues and am now back but on 17.10.1. which I do find a bit better. Really looking forward to 18.04 though! I have another post up now just recently. A Brother tech did manage to get my printer working at one stage - he needed to add lib32ncurses5 and lib32tinfo5 files to my system to assist. With these files in place, when I came back to 17.10.1, I managed to install my Brother printer straight up and it worked flawlessly. The brother tech likes me to use the dnssd option (usually around number 12 in the terminal install) and it was available when I installed the first time, which was great. When I installed Wine (I have one Windows program that doesn’t have a Linux equivalent unfortunately) I had to force install libsane1:i386 file to get Wine to install using the WineHQ procedure. Apparently this breaks/does something to one of the support Brother files needed to make it work, so I lost my printer again lol. I haven’t tried installing through CUPS as yet, but it is an option I can look at at some stage. Glad your printer is working for you.

Michael