Audio Glitching on YouTube/Flash

Hey, total noob here.

Strange problem, whenever I use YouTube, the video works fine, but the audio periodically sounds very glitchy and choppy for a few seconds before behaving normally again.

I’m assuming it’s a Flash problem, but all my Flash software is up to date, and I can’t see any other conventional way to fix it.

Can anyone shed some light? I haven’t been able to find a solution anywhere.

Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

I use chromium and pepper flash for youtube? Works nice :slight_smile:

Thanks!

I guess it’s just a question of Flash support on whatever browser you’re using.

Just tried it, it’s still making a weird gurgling sound every so often.

I’ve been trying to configure it to work properly all day with no luck.

Hi @ye_ma, you didn’t say which browser your are using.

In Firefox, I have Flash disabled unless specifically needed. Youtube works great with its HTML5 player so I never need it there. Just a thought, in case you weren’t aware how YouTube has been steadily dropping Flash for quite a while now.

Yeah I’m aware of the HTML5 thing, but I remember reading about Flash support being terrible on Linux and thought it would have come down to that. Yeah I was using Firefox but switched over to Chrome, and took the recommendation of installing Pepper Flash Player, but it’s still happening occasionally.

I’m starting to believe it might be a problem with a driver, but I’m just not sure.

Forgive me, I’m new to this, but I’m willing to learn haha

We were all new, once. :slight_smile:

It appears you do have data to support a more general sound issue since Firefox and Chromium do similar. How about HTML5?

Just in case, Firefox Tools -> Add-ons -> Plugins set Flash to “Never activate”. You should then be on HTML5 when you go to YouTube. I right-click on the video to make sure as they have different menus.

I use FlashBlock, it does the same as Bill’s way, just gives you a button on your browser screen to access flash.

Hiya @anon42388993. Are you sure this will switch to HTML5?

I used FlashBlock for years and switched to Flash Control for what I think is the same goal. It will still tell the site Flash is available but give a start button for every Flash object on the page. It doesn’t switch to HTML5 on a Linux browser last I checked.

Regardless, FlashBlock or Flash Control is the only way to run Flash… if you have to. :grin:

Hi Bill

I had not noticed this, now I need to go back and check. We watch a lot of music videos using youtube and always thought I was on HTML5.

I just tested again and it looks like the wind changed direction so YouTube changed again. I’ve seen it change with browser versions, too.

Now, with Flash available, Firefox defaults to HTML5 so Flash may have never been in the picture for the OP. Or something else affects it (really, next Firefox update it may change back!).

EDIT: Of course, I’m describing no-google-account. I hear there’s settings that can set such a preference. Without an account it’s been unpredictable.

Interesting find

Need the OP need to chime in

Later Bill :slight_smile:

Sorry guys was pretty busy.

Yeah, I’ve disabled Flash on every browser but it still happens.

It’s happening when streaming stuff on Kodi too.

Sorry I can only offer a generic help with searching for solutions which is half the battle, particularly when it may be specific hardware related.

1. Get audio info on a terminal with:

inxi -A

1. Grab (copy) the full name of the audio device. Here’s my output:

Audio: Card-1 Intel 8 Series/C220 Series High Definition Audio Controller
    driver: snd_hda_intel
    Card-2 NVIDIA GK208 HDMI/DP Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel
    Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.4.0-36-generic

2. Now, paste that (usually) Card-1 full name into a search. Put it in quotes to narrow it right down to your hardware. Mine would be:

“Intel 8 Series/C220 Series High Definition Audio Controller”

Add Ubuntu Mate 16.04 (or whatever may help) to the search. This approach has worked well for me.