Automatic updates?

Hi

I am thinking about switching to Ubuntu MATE because it is now official.

I just wondering how are updates such as new version of Firefox installed? Manually or automatic? (I am coming from Linux Mint)

Also would it be possible to upgrade from 14.10 to 15.04 without clean install? That one of the reason I am thinking of using Ubuntu MATE (I know Linux Mint is on LTS now so no upgrade needed but that means old software for two years).

Thanks!

A small correction. 14.10 is not an LTS, that’s 14.04. Whether you can upgrade from 14.10 to 15.04 I do not know. I will be testing it as soon as Virtual Box is installed.

About the updates: they are done automatically. Just update your system and Firefox 36 is installed. (I just updated ;))

2 Likes

Hi

Ok thank you very much :). Ah so if i want to update I would have to go to Software update centre and then just click update? Or it would be done in background without me doing anything?

Looking forward to using Ubuntu MATE soon!

Thanks for your help!

@jonty789 There is a check on updates whenever you want, every day, every week or even every year. The Software Updater will pop-up and give you notice :wink:

2 Likes

Ahh ok thank you very much :).

I just installed it and so far I am loving it :smiley:

Hi,

to do a manual update using a new disk/USB install and to keep all your data intact (if you follow the guide correctly), use this guide: