AVR Programming

I found two methods that work on the Ubuntu Mate Platform. I worked into the lonely hours from sunset to sunrise.

(1) First method - I needed a programmer and I was aware of using Raspberry Pi 3 by BITBANGing the GPIO lines to the AVR like atmega328p. The trick is to use the hex file created from the Arduino IDE.
Program an AVR or Arduino Using Raspberry Pi GPIO

(2) Second method depends on having a programmer so I’ll use method (1) above. To create the hex file without using the Arduino IDE, I’ll try using the text “Make: AVR Programming” by Elliot Williams but this is much more difficult than method (1). On the other hand using method (2) is what the AVR professionals use when programming the chips…like Atmel Studio 7.

I tried working with the Raspbian Jessie OS but the communication protocols like I2C (TWI), SPI and more importantly Serial (UART) kept failing between the Raspberry Pi 3 and the Atmel Chips or even the Arduino boards. This is bad so here I am to see whether the Ubuntu Mate is more stable.

Jesse Mage

Bumped from the topic: “Where do I belong”

The second method was finally tested today but it does not work. I used the BlinkLED where it is like the Hello World for AVR. The error that kept popping up was it could not find the device. For some reason and I am not clear why but the pound sign ‘#’ was placed infront of the header statements in every single avr include file. Is the pound sign like a comment where it cannot be processed by the compiler? Weird?

Anyway, I am stuck with method (1) until I can figure something out. I could use a Desktop computer and use Atmel Studio 7 and its programmer but hacking the linux world is more fun. It seems that the LINUX world is way behind updating packages for the more advance developers for the older kids who play with SBCs like Raspberry Pi, Pine63, UDOO, UP, etc. My interest was mainly to see waht these little computers can do. Unforunately, the Linux operating system, well how can I say it, is immature.

If anyone has sucessfully installed the AVR Tool Chain without an IDE on Raspberry Pi using Ubuntu Mate, pretty please pass the word.

Jesse Mage