balenaEtcher not working

Please can you help, can't get BalenaEtcher to run on 22.04

Here's what happens when I try:

$ /opt/balenaEtcher/balena-etcher-electron
[Axios v1.7.7] Transitional option 'clarifyTimeoutError' has been deprecated since v1.0.0 and will be removed in the near future
[Axios v1.7.7] Transitional option 'forcedJSONParsing' has been deprecated since v1.0.0 and will be removed in the near future
[Axios v1.7.7] Transitional option 'silentJSONParsing' has been deprecated since v1.0.0 and will be removed in the near future
libva error: vaGetDriverNameByIndex() failed with unknown libva error, driver_name = (null)
libva error: vaGetDriverNameByIndex() failed with unknown libva error, driver_name = (null)
[87532:0422/172146.519279:FATAL:gpu_data_manager_impl_private.cc(415)] GPU process isn't usable. Goodbye.
/opt/balenaEtcher/balena-etcher-electron: line 10: 87532 Trace/breakpoint trap   (core dumped) "${script_dir}"/balena-etcher-electron.bin "$@"

There was a problem with programs based on the electron framework a few Ubuntu versions ago - mismatch with some library. It's possible that it's happened again.

I am slightly surprised that they have a jammy repository with a version that doesn't work.

Think I've sussed it. Right click on the balenaEtcher-1.7.8-x64.AppImage in my Downloads folder, and open as admin, and Hey Presto it pops up!

1 Like

Yes, 1.7.9 appimage as admin works; 1.7.7 deb doesn't.

I just install etcher thru the app store and it seems to work fine. Version 1.7.7; the only problem is it doesn't play nice with the update link in the software update. Once installed, I removed the update link. As a suggestion, you can download the pi Imager from synaptic and use it to format and burn any ISO to a usb. It has no restrictions to just Pi images. A fast and great tool.

Thank you very much. Looks a bit complicated to install Ventoy?

Ok thanks for your help, I'll try it again later, shame there's not a Snap Package for it

Ok thanks, I'll try it again later, shame there's not a Snap Package for it

Mine does it. There's no installation at all exceptcopying the baleena etcher Appimage to my home folder and then I run it from a launcher with ./home/myname/balenaEtcher-1Xx-x64.AppImage

Perhaps you have updated the Appimage and the launcher does not recognize it because of the changed name of the version. Please chech the launcher

Thank you very much Pala, that's been a great help. Wonder if anyone knows how I could make an ISO of my existing running Ubuntu Mate 22.04, so i can put it on a memory stick?

I don't know about an ISO file but you should be able to create a disk image ( .img file ) from the gnome disk utility which MATE has. Look for Disks.

I have never used it for that purpose but everything else works that I have tried. A great utility app.

It can also create installation media from an ISO file. You can use it in place of Balena etcher for that purpose.

dclcav:

Glad to hear that. If you had a secondary hdd the fast and easiest way is to clone the entire Ubuntu hdd and save the image to the secondary hdd.

I have been using for years a windows app called R-Drive running from a USB but Clonezilla - an open source program - does the same and it's for free. This allows me to have in my secondary hdd the images of two or more Linux versions that I expand (by cloning method to be precise) onto the main hdd when needed and moreover I can switch between them more than once in a day.

For instance I'm today dedicated to test 22.04 but there are two programs that I use for photo blending that are not yet uploaded to Jammy repositories so I restore (by overwritting the entire hdd) Ubuntu Mate 20.04 when needed and I'm back to 22.04 whan I finish. This takes 2 minutes at least to restore as secondary hdd is in also Ext4 format (otherwise in another format like NTFS it would take more time) and I'm allowed to switch between versions even many times-a-day

Hope this is useful for you
Regards

The «MX Live-Usb Maker» from [Releases · dolphinoracle/lum-qt-appimage · GitHub] works. :penguin: :slightly_smiling_face:

Thank you very much mdd12 for the useful information.

Thank you Pala. I'll certainly give that a try,
I've been given an older 2013 laptop with Wiin 7 loaded and trying to blow it away. I've made USB flash drive with Balena and Mate 22.04 latest version.
But I've pressed esc + delete and got to the Mate boot menu to install Mate but nothing happens.
Is this Microsoft stopping anyone getting to grub boot?

I have divorced Bill Gates in 2006 but I suggest you to run gparted from UM 22.04 mounted on the USB and then try to format entire partition of the 2013 laptop. If something goes wrong create from gparted a new partition table and then format the partition in ext4.
A few weeks ago my son had a laptop of 2011,ready to go to the trash can as the power supply did not stored current anymore and it had no hdd so I bought a solid 120 gb hdd and despite it has to be connected all the time Ubuntu Mate runs as fast as my 2010 desktop with 12 gb of ram, I something not possible with windows
Hope this works

Thank you for your kind help. I'll give it a try a bit later.

Hope you succeed. Please let us know. regards

In 22.04, when I right click on the ISO, I do not get the option of "admin" only "archive"....it does not run for me! What am I missing?