Battery monitor (power manager) not updating

Hi all,
Lenovo Y50
Ubuntu Mate 16.04

The battery monitor on the panel does not update. This applet identifies itself as Cinnamon power management applet and it appears that Cinnamon 2.8 is installed. TBH I’m not even certain that I’m using Mate or Cinnamon or a mashup of both.

The battery monitor applet only updates when I connect or disconnect the battery charger making it pretty much useless. I keep a term open with

watch cat /sys/class/power_supply/BAT1/capacity

running. There seems to be a bug report for this (or similar) at https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon/issues/4176. It seems not to be fixed.

It would be nice to get this working.

Thanks!

Hi
Please provide the output of:

inxi -S

hbarta@yggdrasil:~$ inxi -S
System:    Host: yggdrasil Kernel: 4.4.0-47-generic x86_64 (64 bit) Desktop: Cinnamon 2.8.6
           Distro: Ubuntu 16.04 xenial
hbarta@yggdrasil:~$ 

Thanks!

Right, so you’re not using MATE.
I’m not sure if you can add the MATE battery indicator applet to the Cinnamon panel or vice versa.
Maybe you can ask on the Cinnamon support forums? I’m not sure what help we’re gonna be able to provide here. :/

Yes, thanks. Yours was the right question ans the correct answer should have been

hbarta@yggdrasil:~$ inxi -S
System:    Host: yggdrasil Kernel: 4.4.0-47-generic x86_64 (64 bit) Desktop: MATE 1.12.1
           Distro: Ubuntu 16.04 xenial
hbarta@yggdrasil:~$ 

If I select MATE from the display manager and log in, the battery monitor works. I had intended to reply to that sooner but after my original reply my account was blocked from posting for some time (and then I got wrapped up in something else.)

I’m a distro and desktop hopper and don’t always know what DE I’m using unless there is something obvious (like the mouse on the default XFCE background) to tell me where I’m at.

It appears that Cinnamon and MATE do not play well with each other.

Thank you again for your help resolving this.

1 Like